Electric Circuits Homework: Solving for Energy Delivered to Battery

In summary, a battery charger delivers a current of 6.0A for 5.0 hours to a dead battery with a voltage of 12V, resulting in 1.3x10^6 Joules of energy being delivered to the battery. Some alternative expressions for electrical power and energy include R=I^2RT, Power = Voltage x Current, and Energy = Power x Time. Joules of energy can also be expressed in terms of amp-volt-seconds, and there are 3600 seconds in an hour.
kamal242

Homework Statement

A battery charger is connected to a dead battery and delivers a current of 6.0A for 5.0 hours,keeping the voltage across the battery terminals at 12V in the process.how much energy is delivered to the battery?

Homework Equations

R=I^2RT

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is 1.3x10^6 Joules but I am not getting that.can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any other expressions for electrical power and energy?

kamal242 said:

Homework Equations

R=I^2RT

Power = Voltage x Current
Energy = Power x Time.

Joules of energy is expressed in amp-volt-seconds.

How many seconds in an hour?

What is the purpose of solving for energy delivered to the battery in electric circuits homework?

The purpose of solving for energy delivered to the battery in electric circuits homework is to determine the amount of energy that is supplied to the battery in a given circuit. This is important in understanding the efficiency of the circuit and making sure the battery is receiving the necessary energy to function properly.

How do you calculate the energy delivered to the battery in an electric circuit?

To calculate the energy delivered to the battery in an electric circuit, you need to use the formula: Energy = Power x Time. The power can be calculated by multiplying the voltage and current in the circuit. Time is the duration of the circuit in seconds. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula to determine the energy delivered to the battery.

What units are used to measure energy in electric circuits?

The most common units used to measure energy in electric circuits are Joules (J) and kilowatt-hours (kWh). Joules are used for smaller amounts of energy, while kilowatt-hours are used for larger amounts. Other units, such as electron-volts (eV) and calories (cal), may also be used in certain contexts.

What factors can affect the energy delivered to the battery in an electric circuit?

The energy delivered to the battery in an electric circuit can be affected by factors such as the voltage and current in the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and any losses due to heat or other forms of energy. Any changes in these factors can impact the amount of energy delivered to the battery.

Why is it important to solve for energy delivered to the battery in electric circuits homework?

Solving for energy delivered to the battery in electric circuits homework is important because it allows us to understand the efficiency of the circuit and ensure that the battery is receiving the necessary energy. This information can also be helpful in troubleshooting any issues with the circuit and making improvements for future designs.