1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuits

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi. I have an electric circuit attached below. The question is to find the value Vg in order for the interconnection to be valid. The answer is -2V.
    My question is, why is the voltage minus?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You did the calculation - if you read the diagram correctly you set the [+] terminal to have a higher voltage than the [-] terminal. The minus sign means that the terminals are drawn the wrong way around.
    As to "why", you may have done the calculation wrong or maybe that's just the way the physics works out for that configuration.

4. Oct 2, 2013 #3
    I doubt there is miscalculation, because the book had already given the answer key.

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Show how you would determine the potential of the controlled source on the left.

6. Oct 2, 2013 #5
    ib=8A, Vx= ib/4 = 8/4=2V

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. Oct 2, 2013 #6

gneill

Check the defined direction of ib. Is the 8 A source really driving current in the direction indicated?

8. Oct 2, 2013 #7
    Oh. You mean they are in opposite direction. So the current ib is negative, right?

9. Oct 2, 2013 #8

gneill

Right.

10. Oct 2, 2013 #9
    Good. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted