Electric Circuits: Find Vg & Why is it -2V?

In summary, the conversation discusses an electric circuit and finding the value Vg for a valid interconnection. The answer is -2V, which may be due to a miscalculation or the physics of the configuration. The conversation also touches on determining the potential of a controlled source and checking the direction of current.
sevag00

Homework Statement

Hi. I have an electric circuit attached below. The question is to find the value Vg in order for the interconnection to be valid. The answer is -2V.
My question is, why is the voltage minus?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
You did the calculation - if you read the diagram correctly you set the [+] terminal to have a higher voltage than the [-] terminal. The minus sign means that the terminals are drawn the wrong way around.
As to "why", you may have done the calculation wrong or maybe that's just the way the physics works out for that configuration.

Simon Bridge said:
You did the calculation - if you read the diagram correctly you set the [+] terminal to have a higher voltage than the [-] terminal. The minus sign means that the terminals are drawn the wrong way around.
As to "why", you may have done the calculation wrong or maybe that's just the way the physics works out for that configuration.
I doubt there is miscalculation, because the book had already given the answer key.

sevag00 said:

Homework Statement

Hi. I have an electric circuit attached below. The question is to find the value Vg in order for the interconnection to be valid. The answer is -2V.
My question is, why is the voltage minus?

Show how you would determine the potential of the controlled source on the left.

ib=8A, Vx= ib/4 = 8/4=2V

Last edited:
sevag00 said:
ib=8A, Vx= ib/4 = 8/4=2V

Check the defined direction of ib. Is the 8 A source really driving current in the direction indicated?

Oh. You mean they are in opposite direction. So the current ib is negative, right?

sevag00 said:
Oh. You mean they are in opposite direction. So the current ib is negative, right?

Right.

Good. Thanks for the help.

1. What is Vg in an electric circuit?

Vg, or gate voltage, is the voltage at the input terminal of a transistor or other electronic component in an electric circuit. It is used to control the flow of current through the component.

2. How is Vg found in an electric circuit?

Vg can be found by measuring the voltage at the input terminal of the component using a voltmeter. It can also be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. Why is Vg often referred to as -2V in electric circuits?

The -2V notation is used to represent a negative voltage, which indicates that the input terminal is receiving a lower voltage than the ground or reference point in the circuit. This is common in certain types of circuits, such as those using transistors or operational amplifiers.

4. How does Vg affect the overall circuit performance?

Vg plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of electronic components in a circuit. By varying the Vg, the current flow and output of the component can be controlled, allowing for a wide range of circuit functions and applications.

5. Can Vg be adjusted in an electric circuit?

Yes, Vg can be adjusted by changing the voltage at the input terminal or by using external components, such as resistors, to modify the voltage. In many circuits, Vg can also be adjusted using a potentiometer, which allows for precise control of the input voltage.