1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric company meter reading

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    I put up a security gate requiring a code at the entrance to my property 6 months ago but the electric company has never requested access to read my meter. I have an old fashioned non-digital meter that cannot be seen from the road.

My bill references a specific KWh usage. How does the power company know how much power I am using? Seems they can't.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2
    I should add there is no wireless transmitter on the meter so they are not rearing it wirelessly.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Jake.
    I suppose that you don't live where I do (most people don't :rolleyes:), so this might not apply to you. In my area, utility usage (mainly gas) is estimated monthly and then verified a couple of times a year by manual meter reading. Also, it's sometimes averaged over the year to even out the payments rather that walloping us with a $300 bill in December while we pay almost nothing in summer.
    Why not just call the Customer Service number of your supplier and ask?

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You should read the meter yourself and verify if the bills are accurate. If they aren't, they are being estimated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook