What are the components of an electric control panel for a pump?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student who is working on an electric control panel for a pump but has no knowledge or experience in this field. They are seeking help in finding references or the names of components in order to learn more about them. However, there are concerns about the safety and quality of the panel, as it appears to have been wired incorrectly and without proper training or qualifications, which could lead to personal injury or damage. The conversation also reveals that the student's university is forcing them to work with the panel as part of their studies, despite their lack of training. The conversation is ultimately locked due to the potential danger involved.
zizo40
hey ... i am working on Electric control panel for pump

but the Problem i am new on this Field

all i know in this Electric control panel is conductor

please can you help me to find References explain Components of Electric control panel

or just anyone tell me the names of Components

http://im24.gulfup.com/olfU1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
happy new year :)

considering that you have confessed to not knowing anything about this panel, you shouldn't even be playing with it without qualified supervision !

If you haven't already started an electrical trade, then you should be.
Working with mains voltages and a panel this complex requires that you have suitable qualifications, not only for your safety but the safety of those making use of its functions

As a result it would be unwise for anyone here to give you just enough info to risk personal injury or property damage

Dave

hey davenn

all i need is know the name of Components to learn more about them

that's it>>>>

Google circuit breaker, contactors + auxiliary contacts, relay, main circuit breaker, current transformer.
thats all I recognizes form your pic.

do you mean :

1- contactors

2- circuit breaker

3- auxiliary contacts

4- current transformer

5- relay

am i right ?

http://im18.gulfup.com/Ik1A1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See the imagine

Attachments

• olfU1.jpg
    olfU1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 366
thanks dude ... you are the best

1 - Motor rated Overload trips
2 - Miniture circuit breakers (mcb's)
3 - Cartridge fuse holders
4 - Contactors
5 - Auxillary timer unit (Clipped onto a contactor)
6 - Current transformers
7 - Plug in relays and bases
8 - Dinrail mount terminals

Ps who ever connected this up is a bit of a bodgit IMHO as they used an Earth coded cable as a phase wire and 2 generations of colour coding is present within the same unit (incoming blue is on a new colour code cable and represents neutral where-as the panel is wired old colour code hence blue is phase colour), really poor workmanship, as well as derated cable size tapped onto incoming live terminals without fusing down, another worry is where its incoming earthing although may be connected outside of visual field seems to be missing?

Last edited:
Good catches, darkwood!

zizo40 said:
... i am working on Electric control panel for pump

but the Problem i am new on this Field

all i know in this Electric control panel is conductor ...

Is this part of a "hands-on" school course?
darkwood said:
... who ever connected this up is a bit of a bodgit IMHO as they used an Earth coded cable as a phase wire and 2 generations of colour coding is present within the same unit (incoming blue is on a new colour code cable and represents neutral where-as the panel is wired old colour code hence blue is phase colour), really poor workmanship, as well as derated cable size tapped onto incoming live terminals without fusing down, another worry is where its incoming earthing although may be connected outside of visual field seems to be missing?

If his answer to the above is in the affirmative, that would explain a lot. :smile:

dlgoff . the thing is i am Student of food process engineering

but my University force me to work on that Electronic Control Panel

i told them i have nothing to do with it .. they told me you are not Graduate until done this work

anyway thanks you all for help me

I said it at the start
and I will say it again

This is a great way for some untrained person to get electrocuted and may also others using equip powered by this panel
because some one who doesn't know what they are doing has played with the panell!

Dave

Thread locked as dangerous.

What is an electric control panel?

An electric control panel is a device that regulates and distributes electricity to various electrical components and machines. It is typically used in industrial settings to control and monitor the flow of electricity.

What are the components of an electric control panel?

An electric control panel typically consists of a main power switch, circuit breakers, fuses, relays, and other control devices. It may also include meters, indicators, and alarms to monitor the flow of electricity and detect any malfunctions.

How does an electric control panel work?

The control panel receives an input of electricity from a power source and uses control devices, such as switches and relays, to direct the flow of electricity to the desired components. It also monitors the flow of electricity and can shut off power in the event of a malfunction.

What are the safety considerations when working with an electric control panel?

Working with an electric control panel can be dangerous, so it is important to follow safety protocols such as wearing proper protective gear, de-energizing the panel before working on it, and following manufacturer instructions. It is also important to have a qualified electrician install and maintain the panel.

How do I troubleshoot issues with an electric control panel?

If you encounter any issues with the electric control panel, it is important to first refer to the manufacturer's manual for troubleshooting steps. If the issue persists, it is best to contact a qualified electrician for assistance. Do not attempt to fix the issue yourself if you are not trained in working with electrical systems.