Electron Movement in a Closed Circuit: How Do Batteries Facilitate the Flow?

In summary, the electrons in a closed circuit are pushed-pulled around from the negative end of the battery to the positive end. When they reach the positive end, they are consumed in a redox reaction at the cathode. The battery produces these electrons, which then flow through the conductor. This process involves chemical reactions at the cathode and anode, and as the reactive materials are depleted, the battery will eventually die when it can no longer meet the demands of the circuit.
ghost99
Here's my question. On a closed circuit, you have the electrons of the conductor being pushed-pulled around the circuit from the negative end of the battery to the positive end.

So what happens to the electrons when they reach the positive end of the battery?
In order for the electrons to move around the complete circuit, don't they have to go through the negative end of the battery? If so, how can do this if the excess electrons would repel them?

Physics news on Phys.org
ghost99 said:
So what happens to the electrons when they reach the positive end of the battery?
They are consumed in the redox reaction at the cathode.

I guess that's where my confusion comes from.

I thought that the electrons moving in a circuit all came from the conductor (i.e the battery does not supply the electrons just the voltage). So the same electrons just moved around the conductor as the voltage was being applied. Is this correct?

ghost99 said:
I guess that's where my confusion comes from.

I thought that the electrons moving in a circuit all came from the conductor (i.e the battery does not supply the electrons just the voltage). So the same electrons just moved around the conductor as the voltage was being applied. Is this correct?

No, the battery produces electrons. Why do you think a D cell is so much bigger then a AAA? It has more reactants thus can produce more electrons, but has the same voltage.

ok
The battery produces electrons, but is it only to produce the voltage?

Or are you saying these electrons the the battery creates are moved through the conductor also?

Do you understand redox reactions? If you write down the reduction and oxidation half reactions reactions separately you will see that on one side the metal loses electrons and ions to the electrolyte and on the other side electrons and ions in the electrolyte are deposited onto the metal.

In a nutshell...

1. A chemical reaction at the cathode between the cathode and the electrolyte deposits an electron on the cathode and produces a positive ion in the electrolyte.

2. The electron flows through the circuit. At the same time the ion moves through the electrolyte to the anode.

3. A second chemical reaction occurs at the anode that combines electrons with positive ions to form neutral molecules.

During steps 1 and 3 the chemical composition of the cathode, anode, and electrolyte are all changed. As the amount of reactive material drops the rate of the reactions also drops. When the rate of reaction no longer meets the demands of the circuit the battery is dead.

Is the reactive material the electorlyte? or the anode/cathode material?

Yes. They are all reactive materials.

What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is typically measured in units of amperes (A).

What is a battery?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is made up of one or more electrochemical cells and is commonly used as a source of power for electronic devices.

How does a battery produce electric current?

A battery produces electric current through a chemical reaction that occurs within the battery. This reaction causes a buildup of electrons at the negative terminal of the battery, creating a difference in electric potential between the two terminals. When a conductive material, such as a wire, is connected between the two terminals, the electrons flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating an electric current.

What factors affect the electric current produced by a battery?

The electric current produced by a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the battery, the materials used in the battery's construction, the temperature, and the resistance of the circuit through which the current is flowing.

How can I measure the electric current produced by a battery?

The electric current produced by a battery can be measured using a device called an ammeter. This device is connected in series with the circuit and can measure the amount of current flowing through it. It is important to note that the ammeter should be connected in the correct direction to avoid damaging the device.