Calculating Power in AC Circuits: Solving for Minimum and Maximum Power Values

In summary, the problem presented is to determine the average power used by a coil connected to a 240 V (rms) ac line with a resistance of 34 ohms. The average power is calculated using the equation Pav = (.5)V^2/R, resulting in a value of 847 W. The question then asks for the minimum and maximum values of the instantaneous power, for which the maximum and minimum possible values of the squared sine function can be used. The use of angular frequency and time is not necessary for this calculation. Instead, the relationship Vo = IoR can be used.
physics noob
hey guys, here's my problem...

coil connected to a 240 V (rms) ac line has a resistance of 34 ohms. what is the average power used

(.5)V^2 /R so Pav = 847 W

then it asks what are the min and max values of the instanteous power?

this is where I am stuck, i think i need to use the equation

P(t)= IVsin^2 (omega(T)) but how do i know what t is, and the angular freq? any help would be greatly appriciated,,,,also any knowledge on the topic would help, cause these ac circuits are kind of hard for me... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
V0 = root2 * Vrms

got it

me again...im pretty sure i messed up every step on this problem... still need help

physics noob said:
me again...im pretty sure i messed up every step on this problem... still need help
The word "coil" usually implies some inductance, while "resistance" instead of "impedence" implies no inductance. If you have some inductance, then you need to rethink the problem. If the load is purely resistive, then the current and voltage are in phase and you can use your simple relationships between rms and peak voltage and current. You do not need the frequency or the specific times at which the instantaneous power is max and min; all you need is the maximum and minumum possible values of the squared sine function.

no, no inductance...you said use the square of the sine function, but doesn't that depend on angular frequency and time?,... can i just use

Vo = IoR ?

physics noob said:
no, no inductance...you said use the square of the sine function, but doesn't that depend on angular frequency and time?,... can i just use

Vo = IoR ?

The sine function does depend on frequency and time, but you are not asked to find when the minimum and maximum occur, just the power values at the minimum and maximum. What is the maximum (minimum) possible value of sine squared?

1. What is "Electric current madness"?

"Electric current madness" refers to a phenomenon where there is an unexpected surge or fluctuation in the flow of electric current, causing disruptions or malfunctions in electrical systems.

2. What causes "Electric current madness"?

"Electric current madness" can be caused by various factors such as power surges, faulty wiring, overloading of electrical circuits, or lightning strikes.

3. How can I prevent "Electric current madness"?

To prevent "Electric current madness", it is important to use surge protectors, avoid overloading electrical circuits, and regularly check and maintain the wiring in your home or workplace.

4. What are the dangers of "Electric current madness"?

The dangers of "Electric current madness" include electrical fires, damage to electrical devices and appliances, and electrical shock or electrocution.

5. How can I deal with "Electric current madness" if it occurs?

If "Electric current madness" occurs, it is important to turn off the power source and seek the help of a professional electrician to diagnose and fix the issue. Do not attempt to handle the situation yourself as it can be dangerous.