1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Current problem.

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    I did all the word but my answers are not matching my books?

1) Can a 2.5 mm-diameter copper wire have the same resistence as a tungsten wire of the same length? Give numerical detials. Answer, yes, 4.6 mm

Here is what I did:
    ( p = resistivity )

R = p(L/A) so I set R(Cu) = R(tug) and since L is the same it cancels out.

Area = 1/2pie2^2 ---> Cu area = (.5)(3.14)(1.25mm) ---> A = .393 mm

So p(A) = p(A) ---> (1.68 x 10^-8)(.393 mm) = (5.6 x 10^-8)(A)
    A = .1179 mm

therefore diameter would be... .1179 mm = 2(pie)r^2
    r = .2729 mm which mean diameter = .546 mm... so what did I do incorrect?

2) A small immersion heater can be used in a car to heat a cup of water. If the heater can heat 120 mL of water from 25C to 95 C in 8.0 minutes, (a) How much current does it draw from the car's 12 V battery, (b) What is the resistence? Assume the manufacturer's clain of 60% effciency. Answers: 10 A, 1.2 Olhms

What I did...

Used specific heat equation ---> Q = mcT where I changed 120 mL of water into .120 kg ---> Q = (.120 kg)(4185 J/kg C)(95C-25C)
    Q = 35154 J

Then I used the equation PE = 1/2Q(where Q is the charger)V
    35151 J = (.5)(Q)(12 V)
    Q = 5859 C

Finally I used I(current) = Q/T(time) ---> 5859C/480s
    I = 12 A

And for Resistence I used V/I = R ---> 12 V/12 A = 1 Olhm

I am off my two units for some odd reason in my current and off by .2 in my resistence. Did I make a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With nearly 150 posts one would think that you would have taken the time to learn to use LaTex...Please read this thread

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  4. Mar 4, 2006 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After sorting through your work, I see several things wrong. What is the area of a circle? Where did you get the number for the area of the copper? Re examine your work you have make some very basic errors.

It is essential that you make a habit of working with symbols until you have isolated the parameter you need a number for. In this case you have.

[tex] R = \frac {\rho L} A [/tex]

I will use a T subscript for Tungsten and a C subscript for copper.

[tex] R_T = R_C [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac {\rho_T L_T} {A_T} = {\frac {\rho_C L_C} {A_C} [/tex]

further you are given that
    [tex] L_T = L_C [/tex]

so now we have:
    [tex] \frac {\rho_T } {A_T} = \frac {\rho_C } {A_C} [/tex]

[tex] A_T = \frac {\rho_C } { \rho_T A_C } [/tex]

Now can you complete the problem in this same manner until you have isolated the radius of the tungsten?

I have found that it is often necessary to repeat calculations multiple times. Do it until you can get the same answer several times in a row.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  5. Mar 5, 2006 #4
    That does stil not work. Area of copper will be 4.91 mm^2. If you then use.

[tex] A_T = \frac {\rho_C } { \rho_T A_C } [/tex]

You get Area of T = .0611

and then if we use the equation of a circle for this area we get d = .27 mm.

6. Mar 5, 2006 #5
    Now I see. You actually manipulated the equation wrong. The Area of T is equal to AcPt/Pc. That gives the correct answer. Thanks for a good try though.

Does number two look okay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?