Calculating Current in a Series-Parallel Circuit with Resistors

In summary, the two 16 Ohm resistors connected in parallel have a total resistance of 8 Ohm, which is then added to the 10 Ohm resistor in series to get a total resistance of 18 Ohm. Using the equation V=IR, with a voltage of 9 V and a resistance of 18 Ohm, the current through the 10 Ohm resistor is 0.5 A.
PBryan833

Homework Statement

Two 16 Ohm resistors connected in parallel are then connected in series to a 10 Ohm resistor. The entire setup is connected to a 9 V battery. What is the current through the 10 Ohm resistor?

Homework Equations

V=IR
I1+I2=It
1/Rt= 1/R1 + 1/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not sure if i am correct. If the two 16 ohm resistors were connected parallel, then wouldn't their overall resistance be 8 ohm because 2(1/16)= 1/8 which 8 is Rtotal? Then after you find Rtotal you add it to the 10 ohm resistor to get a total resistance of 16 ohm. From this, you can solve using the equation V=IR. Plug in 9 for V and 16 for R and you end up getting I= 0.5 . Is this the correct answer and is my approach correct? Thanks for the help everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
PBryan833 said:
wouldnt their overall resistance be 8 ohm
Right.
PBryan833 said:
add it to the 10 ohm resistor to get a total resistance of 16 ohm
Wrong.

haruspex said:
Right.

Wrong.

How do I get the overall resistance?

PBryan833 said:
How do I get the overall resistance?
By adding the resistances correctly. 8+10=?

haruspex said:
By adding the resistances correctly. 8+10=?

Oh yes that is what I meant, bad addition. So is the rest of the way I used to solve this problem correct?

PBryan833 said:
Oh yes that is what I meant, bad addition. So is the rest of the way I used to solve this problem correct?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Thank you so much!

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a material. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is typically represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is electric current created?

Electric current is created when there is a potential difference, or voltage, applied across a conductor. This causes the free electrons in the material to move, creating a flow of electric charge.

3. What causes electric current problems?

Electric current problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, or damaged electrical components. Improper use of electrical devices or appliances can also lead to electric current problems.

4. How can I troubleshoot an electric current problem?

If you are experiencing an electric current problem, it is important to first ensure your safety by turning off the power. Then, you can check for any visible damage or loose connections, and use a multimeter to test for voltage. If the problem persists, it may be best to consult a professional electrician.

5. How can I prevent electric current problems?

To prevent electric current problems, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain your electrical system, avoid overloading circuits, and use caution when using electrical devices. It may also be helpful to install surge protectors and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to protect against sudden spikes in electric current.