Solving Electric Current: Find Total Resistance (Rt)

In summary, to find the Total Resistance (Rt) in this battery-connected circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's current law and the equation R=V/I, as it is a bridge circuit.
mittpuff31
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/Mittpuff/Picture015.jpg

Above is a battery connected through a circuit. We have to find the Total Resistance (R t) by solving in terms of R.

I'm really confused because I'm not sure what's parallel or in series.

Please, help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for this type of circuit, you need to have a test current of 1A. Figure out the total voltage in the circuit using Kirchhoff's current law, and then find the total resistance by using R = V/I.

It's quite a hard circuit analysis question, in my opinion.

The one you have there is called a bridge circuit. To calculate total resistance, you must substitute the given resistor circuit with an equivalent one.

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire, in a closed circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons.

How do you calculate total resistance (Rt)?

To calculate total resistance, you need to add up the individual resistances in a circuit. This can be done using Ohm's Law (R=V/I) or by using the formula for resistors in series (Rt=R1+R2+R3...) or in parallel (1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...).

What factors affect the total resistance in a circuit?

The total resistance in a circuit is affected by the type of material used for the conductor, the length and thickness of the conductor, and the temperature of the conductor. It is also affected by the number and arrangement of components in the circuit.

Why is it important to solve for total resistance?

Calculating the total resistance in a circuit is important because it helps determine the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electric circuits, as well as ensuring the safety of the circuit and its components.

How does total resistance impact the flow of electric current?

According to Ohm's Law, as resistance increases, the flow of current decreases. This means that a higher total resistance in a circuit will result in a lower current flow. On the other hand, a lower total resistance will result in a higher current flow.