Solve Electric Current & Find E, I & Power Loss

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit problem by finding the total current, battery voltage, and power loss in a 20ohms resistor. The homework equations V=IR and Kirchoff's rule may be used to solve the problem. However, without additional information, the solutions can only be found symbolically.
Phemzy

Homework Statement

In the circuit below, find
(1) The total current in the circuit
(2) The battery voltage E
(3) The power loss in the 20ohms resistor

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I=I1+I2
V=30I1 and V=40I2
30I1 = 40I2
or
V-30I1 = V-40I2

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Phemzy, welcome to PH.
Please check the problem again. To solve the problem, they must give a current in anyone branch.

Hi rl.bhat,

That is how the lecturer gives us the assignment.

No additional information was given

Some of my course mate said, we should use Kirchoff's rule.

Without a specific value for the battery voltage or a branch current or *something* to tell you how much energy is moving in the system, the best you can do is to find the answers symbolically.

I would approach this problem by first organizing the given information and identifying the variables involved. From the circuit, we can see that there are two resistors, a battery, and a total current flowing through the circuit. The equations V=IR and P=IV can be used to solve for the unknown variables.

To find the total current, I would use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the individual currents through each resistor. Then, I would add these currents together to find the total current in the circuit.

Next, I would use the equation V=IR again to find the battery voltage. This can be done by setting the voltage across each resistor equal to the total voltage of the battery.

Finally, to find the power loss in the 20ohms resistor, I would use the equation P=IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. By plugging in the known values, I can solve for the power loss in the resistor.

In summary, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by using known equations and principles to solve for the unknown variables. This method allows for a systematic and accurate solution to the problem.

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material, such as a wire. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

2. How do you solve for electric current?

To solve for electric current, you need to know the voltage (V) and resistance (R) in a circuit. You can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) to calculate the current.

3. How do you find the power loss in a circuit?

To find the power loss in a circuit, you need to know the current (I) and resistance (R) in the circuit. You can use the formula P = I^2 * R to calculate the power loss.

4. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and power loss?

Voltage and current are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current. However, the relationship between current and power loss is not linear. As current increases, power loss increases exponentially.

5. How can you reduce power loss in a circuit?

Power loss can be reduced by decreasing the resistance in the circuit or by using more efficient materials. Additionally, using a higher voltage can also reduce power loss because it results in a lower current, which in turn reduces the power loss according to the formula P = I^2 * R.