Electric Current: Positive/Negative Charge Movement in Conductor

In summary, the Hall Effect is a phenomenon that causes charge carriers to move off their straight-line path in a magnetic field.
bb.minhtri
"An electric conductor carrying electric current from left to right is placed in a downward magnetic field. It is observed that there are positive charge on the front of the conductor and negative charge a the back. If the electric current is reverse, flowing from right to left, then the positive charge will appear at the back and negative charge will appear at the front. Determine either negative or positive the free moving charge within the conductor is. "

What kind of phenomenon that cause charge to move at the back and front of the conductor? It does not seem like induction:(
Thank you guys so much for helping:)

Physics news on Phys.org
bb.minhtri said:
"An electric conductor carrying electric current from left to right is placed in a downward magnetic field. It is observed that there are positive charge on the front of the conductor and negative charge a the back. If the electric current is reverse, flowing from right to left, then the positive charge will appear at the back and negative charge will appear at the front. Determine either negative or positive the free moving charge within the conductor is. "

What kind of phenomenon that cause charge to move at the back and front of the conductor? It does not seem like induction:(

Look up the Hall Effect.

bb.minhtri said:

Hello bb.minhtri. Welcome to PF !

So, you need to determine the sign of the dominant charge carrier in the conductor?

The phenomenon about which you inquired is:
[itex]\vec{F}=q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}\,.[/itex]​

Thanks, Sammy:D I thought about that formula earlier and there's definitely some force that push the conductor to the front(or to the back). But I still can not figure out its relation with this part It is observed that there are positive charge on the front of the conductor and negative charge a the back. If the electric current is reverse, flowing from right to left, then the positive charge will appear at the back and negative charge will appear at the front.
P/S: PF is so heplful^^ I look up here many times for problems and this is the first time I can not find :D

bb.minhtri said:
Thanks, Sammy:D I thought about that formula earlier and there's definitely some force that push the conductor to the front(or to the back). But I still can not figure out its relation with this part It is observed that there are positive charge on the front of the conductor and negative charge a the back. If the electric current is reverse, flowing from right to left, then the positive charge will appear at the back and negative charge will appear at the front.
P/S: PF is so helpful^^ I look up here many times for problems and this is the first time I can not find :D
Did you look up the Hall Effect, as gneill suggested?

P/S: I wish that more users of PF would look things up. They often post threads inquiring about problems that have been answered the previous day. We are glad to hear that you find PF helpful.

bb.minhtri said:
P/S: PF is so heplful^^ I look up here many times for problems and this is the first time I can not find :D

A current consists of moving charges. Charges moving in a magnetic field experience a force that moves them off their straight-line path. If charge carriers are deflected away from one area and towards another area, a charge imbalance will exist between those two areas, i.e., a potential difference will exist. Look up the Hall Effect.

I get it, it's a negative-charge carrier. Sorry gneill, I can't believe I miss your post...
Thank you both so much for helping!

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge, typically carried by electrons, through a conducting material. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I.

2. What is the difference between positive and negative charge movement in a conductor?

Positive charge movement in a conductor occurs when positively charged particles, such as protons, move in a specific direction. This creates a flow of current in the opposite direction. Negative charge movement in a conductor, on the other hand, occurs when negatively charged particles, such as electrons, move in a specific direction, creating a flow of current in the same direction.

3. How does electric current travel through a conductor?

Electric current travels through a conductor by the movement of charged particles, usually electrons. These electrons are able to move freely through the conductor, creating a flow of current. In some cases, such as in ionic conductors, positively charged ions may also contribute to the flow of electric current.

4. What factors affect the flow of electric current in a conductor?

The flow of electric current in a conductor is affected by several factors, including the material of the conductor, the length and thickness of the conductor, and the temperature of the conductor. Conductors with higher conductivity, shorter length, larger thickness, and lower temperature tend to have a higher flow of electric current.

5. How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using a device called an ammeter. The ammeter is connected in series with the conductor and measures the flow of current in amperes. Another important measurement related to electric current is voltage, which is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of potential energy carried by the electric charge.