How Much Current Flows Through a 300-W Computer Using 120 V?

In summary, an electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material, measured in amperes. It is created by a potential difference, or voltage, between two points, causing electrons to move and creating a current. There are two main types of currents - direct current and alternating current - as well as other types such as pulsating, varying, and intermittent. An electric circuit is a closed loop for the current to flow through, while the current itself is the movement within that circuit. Electric currents are measured with an ammeter, connected in series with the circuit, and measured in amperes (A).
mark9159
Hey,

I have a question to ask and was wondering if you guys could help me.

5.) A computer has a 300-W power supply. If household voltage is 120 V, how much current will flow through the computer?
A. 0.4 A
B. 2.5 A
C. 180 A
D. 420 A
E. 36,000 A

I picked B. I used the equation Electric power= current x voltage and changed it so current=power/voltage...which is how i got 2.5 A.

thanks,

mark

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, P = IV, so I = P/V = 300/120 = 2.5

Hi Mark,

You are correct! Using the equation P=IV, we can rearrange it to solve for current, which gives us I=P/V. Plugging in the values given, we get I=300W/120V=2.5A. This means that 2.5 amps of current will flow through the computer. Good job on using the correct equation and solving for the correct answer! Let us know if you have any other questions.

1. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons or ions.

2. How is an electric current created?

An electric current is created when there is a potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a conductive material. This causes electrons to flow from the higher potential point to the lower potential point, creating a current.

3. What are the different types of electric currents?

The two main types of electric currents are direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction, while AC alternates between two directions. Other types of currents include pulsating current, varying current, and intermittent current.

4. What is the difference between an electric current and an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop or pathway through which an electric current can flow. An electric current, on the other hand, is the actual movement of electric charge within the circuit. In simpler terms, a circuit is the path and the current is the movement within that path.

5. How is an electric current measured?

An electric current is measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric charge. The unit of measurement for electric current is the ampere (A). The ammeter is placed in series with the circuit, meaning it is connected in line with the current flow.