1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric dipole moment

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    Hi

I want to calculate the electric dipole moment of point charges along the z-axis with distances a and with the charge distribution

[tex] \varrho (\vec{x}) = q \delta (\vec{x}) - 2q \delta (\vec{x} - \vec{a}) + q \delta (\vec{x} - 2 \vec{a}) [/tex]

and of course [tex]\vec{a} = a \vec{e}_{z} [/tex]

I did the following:

[tex] \vec{p} = \int \vec{x}' \varrho (\vec{x'}) d^{3}x' [/tex]

[tex]= q \int \vec{x}' \delta (\vec{x}) d^{3}x' - 2q \int \vec{x}' \delta (\vec{x} - \vec{a}) d^{3}x' + q \int \vec{x}' \delta (\vec{x} - 2 \vec{a}) d^{3}x' [/tex]

Now I have some questions:

1.) I guess I should write a prime in the arguments of the delta functions. Is this true? (The definition of my electric dipole moment is with prime, the given distribution without but that makes no sense? I should write a prime to all x vectors or no primes. correct?

2.) How to evaluate the integrals further? I know that the delta function is only one at the points of the charges and everywhere else zero but what to do with the x-vectors?

If this would be a normal integral I would do integration by parts, but this makes no sense here.

In general I know the relation that

[tex]\int f(x) \delta (x-a) dx = f(a)[/tex]

but here I have no Function f because x is a vector and I am in 3-d space.

I am confused. Please help me.

edit:

I wanted to post it in Classical Physics and not here. Wrong forum. Sorry... maybe a nice mentor will move it? :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

1. All integration variables are x', including in the delta.
    2. The f(x) here is just f(x)=x. You are integrating only along the x axis.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    thanks, I got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook