How can I calculate the period of a dipole's S.H.O in a uniform electric field?

In summary, the dipole will oscillate at its frequency given by: sin(θ) = θ for a small value of θ, and the period is given by: nu = \frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{|\vec{p}||\vec{E}|}{I}}.
radiogaga35
(This question doesn't apply to a specific problem, hence I'm not using the template.)

Consider a dipole, approximated as a "dumbbell": two oppositely-charged spheres (charges of equal mag.) connected by a rod (that is, the chemical bond). Suppose that I know the dipole moment. If this dipole is placed in a uniform electric field, then it would experience a net torque (but no net force).

I would like to know how I could calculate the period of the dipole's oscillations in this field? Given the electric field (vector), I know to calculate the torque (τ = p X E). From here, however, I don't know how I might use this information to calculate the period/freq. of the dipole's S.H. Oscillation. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and if it would be necessary, the mass of each "sphere" is known (or at least, it could be deduced from the elements making the molecule).

We know [tex]\vec{T}=\vec{p}\times \vec{E}[/tex]. Also, [tex]\vec{T}=I\vec{\alpha}[/tex].

This gives, [tex]I\vec{\alpha}=\vec{p}\times \vec{E}[/tex].

[tex] \alpha=\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex]

and, [tex]\vec{p}\times \vec{E}=|\vec{p}||\vec{E}|sin\theta[/tex]

Substituting, [tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\frac{|\vec{p}||\vec{E}|sin\theta}{I}[/tex].

For small values of [tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]sin\theta =\theta [/tex] (appox.).

[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\frac{|\vec{p}||\vec{E}|\theta}{I}[/tex]This DE represents SHM, and is of the form [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+\omega ^2x=0[/tex].

This gives [tex]\omega ^2=\frac{|\vec{p}||\vec{E}|}{I}[/tex].

Now,
[tex]\omega=2\pi \nu[/tex]

This gives,
[tex]\nu=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{|\vec{p}||\vec{E}|}{I}}[/tex]

which is your frequency of oscillation.

For the moment of inertia, you will need the masses of the atoms and the distance between them which can be found out from the dipole moment.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply! Just what I was looking for. The approximation that sine(θ) = θ for a small value of θ, helped a lot (I should've thought of that...)

Am indebted!

No prob. I am sure anyone here would have done the same.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. It can be thought of as a neutral object with a positive and negative end.

2. What is the significance of an electric dipole in physics?

Electric dipoles are important in understanding the behavior of electric fields. They play a crucial role in understanding the forces between charged particles and the interaction of electric fields with matter.

3. How is the Simple Harmonic Oscillator (S.H.O) related to electric dipoles?

The oscillatory motion of an electric dipole in an electric field is mathematically described by the Simple Harmonic Oscillator (S.H.O) equation. This means that the motion of an electric dipole can be analyzed using the principles of S.H.O.

4. What factors affect the strength of an electric dipole moment?

The strength of an electric dipole moment depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. The closer the charges are to each other, the stronger the dipole moment will be. Additionally, the direction of the dipole moment is also affected by the orientation of the charges.

5. How is an electric dipole different from a magnetic dipole?

An electric dipole consists of two equal and opposite charges, while a magnetic dipole consists of two poles (north and south) with opposite magnetic properties. Additionally, electric dipoles interact with electric fields, whereas magnetic dipoles interact with magnetic fields.