1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Dipole Selection Rules

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For [tex]\Delta[/tex]l = 0 the transition rate can be obtained by evaluating the electric dipole matrix elements
    given by

[tex]\vec{I}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\Psi^{*}_{1,0,0}[/tex] (e [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]) [tex]\Psi_{2,0,0}[/tex] d[tex]\tau[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've got the two wave functions, neither of which have a theta or phi dependance, so when multiplied by the r vector, I should just get their r components. Evaluating this integral is simple, but I'm not sure if I understand what the answer means.
    The selection rule for l is [tex]\Delta[/tex]l =[tex]\pm[/tex]1, so doesn't that mean that this case, where [tex]\Delta[/tex]l = 0 shouldn't be allowed? I might be completely off track, but I thought that the integral would give me 0, proving this, but that's not the value I'm getting. The actual calculation here isn't difficult, but I think I'm missing something conceptually.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the operator has odd parity, angular wave functions has parity [tex](-1)^l [/tex].

So [itex]\Psi_{2,0,0}[/itex] means [itex] n=2, l = 0, m = 0 [/itex] right ?

If that is the case, then you see that the total integrand has odd parity, and integration over whole space will give you zero.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    Makes sense.. I actually talked to the prof about the question, and it turns out we had to split r into components, and evaluate all three integrals explicitly.. it was a bit annoying, but I got it sorted out. Thanks for the help!
  5. Nov 17, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah, if you have explicit wave functions, then you just work it out. I was trying to explain the general idea behind the selection rules :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?