Electric Dipole Transition

The mean life of an electric dipole transition can be estimated using the formula t=ħ/Eγ. By plugging in the given values of Eγ=10 eV and Eγ=1 MeV, we get mean life of 6.582119569e-16 seconds and 6.582119569e-22 seconds respectively. These are extremely small values and may need to be verified with other methods. However, this gives us a rough estimate to work with. In summary, the mean life of an electric dipole transition can be crudely estimated using the Uncertainty principle with the formula t=ħ/Eγ, giving values of 6.582119569e-16 seconds and 6.582119
Fluffy86
Hey
have another problem with one of my exercises

Homework Statement

Make a crude estimate for the mean life of an electric dipole transition

in a atom [tex]E_\gamma = 10 eV[/tex]
in a nucleus [tex]E_\gamma = 1 MeV[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]W_{\alpha \beta} &=& \frac{4}{3} \frac{e^2}{\hbar^4 c^3} E_\gamma^3 |<\beta|\vec{x}|\alpha>|^2 \
&=& \frac{4}{3} \frac{\alpha}{\hbar^3 c^2} E_\gamma^3 |<\beta|\vec{x}|\alpha>|^2 [/tex]
with the first \alpha beeing the fine structure constant [tex]\alpha = \frac{e^2}{\hbar c}=\frac{1}{137} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite sure how to estimate the last factor in the equation. Since we just have to do a crude estimate i don't think we have to calculate it with real wavefunctions(dont know if there are even wavefunctions for nuclei)
So my first thought was since [tex]|<\beta|\vec{x}|\alpha>|^2[/tex] has the dimension of a length^2 I inserted the typical lengthscales of an atom, the Bohr radius, and for the nucleus 1fm.
For the atom I get W= 1.1 10^9 1/s and for the nucleus 3.82 *10^14 1/s.
The lifetime is just the inverse of these. But I think the lifetime is then too small, I have something like 10^(-8) in my mind for the atom.
Anyone has a idea how to estimate it in a better way?

Bye
Fluffy

Physics news on Phys.org
Crude estimates of this type are usually handled with the Uncertainty principle.

What is an electric dipole transition?

An electric dipole transition is a process in which an atom or molecule changes its energy level by absorbing or emitting a photon. This occurs when an electron in the atom or molecule moves from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, or vice versa.

How does an electric dipole transition occur?

An electric dipole transition occurs when an atom or molecule interacts with an external electromagnetic field, such as a laser. The electric field causes the electron to oscillate, leading to the absorption or emission of a photon.

What factors influence the strength of an electric dipole transition?

The strength of an electric dipole transition depends on several factors, including the energy difference between the initial and final energy states, the polarizability of the atom or molecule, and the intensity of the external electromagnetic field.

What are some applications of electric dipole transitions?

Electric dipole transitions have many practical applications, including in spectroscopy, laser technology, and quantum computing. They are also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in various environments.

Can electric dipole transitions occur between any two energy states?

No, electric dipole transitions can only occur between energy states that have different parity. This means that the wave function describing the initial and final states must have opposite symmetry. For example, an electron in a s orbital cannot make a dipole transition to a p orbital, but it can transition to another s orbital with a different quantum number.