1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Dipole Transition

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    have another problem with one of my exercises
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Make a crude estimate for the mean life of an electric dipole transition

in a atom [tex]E_\gamma = 10 eV[/tex]
    in a nucleus [tex]E_\gamma = 1 MeV[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]W_{\alpha \beta} &=& \frac{4}{3} \frac{e^2}{\hbar^4 c^3} E_\gamma^3 |<\beta|\vec{x}|\alpha>|^2 \
    &=& \frac{4}{3} \frac{\alpha}{\hbar^3 c^2} E_\gamma^3 |<\beta|\vec{x}|\alpha>|^2 [/tex]
    with the first \alpha beeing the fine structure constant [tex]\alpha = \frac{e^2}{\hbar c}=\frac{1}{137} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not quite sure how to estimate the last factor in the equation. Since we just have to do a crude estimate i dont think we have to calculate it with real wavefunctions(dont know if there are even wavefunctions for nuclei)
    So my first thought was since [tex]|<\beta|\vec{x}|\alpha>|^2[/tex] has the dimension of a length^2 I inserted the typical lengthscales of an atom, the Bohr radius, and for the nucleus 1fm.
    For the atom I get W= 1.1 10^9 1/s and for the nucleus 3.82 *10^14 1/s.
    The lifetime is just the inverse of these. But I think the lifetime is then too small, I have something like 10^(-8) in my mind for the atom.
    Anyone has a idea how to estimate it in a better way?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Crude estimates of this type are usually handled with the Uncertainty principle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook