1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric dipole

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    Hello

The electric dipole potential is

[tex] V (\textbf{r}) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o} \frac{\textbf{p}\bullet \hat{r} }{r^2}[/tex]

I am trying to figure out the algebra in my book. How do you evaluate the scalar product of the dipole moment and the unit vector in the above equation?

I get [tex]qd cos \theta[/tex] but i am not sure if that is right.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    You might expand the fraction with [tex]|\vec r|[/tex]!

This yields

[tex]\phi (\vec r) = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot |\vec r^{\,}|\hat{r} }{r^3}[/tex]​

Maybe you cope with this!?

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    I dont understand how you expand the fraction. The vector, r in brackets is the norm of r?

I see that r-hat is the unit vector. Shouldnt r-hat = r / |r|

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    you're right

[tex]\hat r = \frac{\vec r}{|\vec r^{\,}|} \qquad \Leftrightarrow \qquad \hat r \cdot |\vec r^{\,}| = \vec r[/tex]​

this applied to the primary equation yields

[tex]\phi (\vec r) = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot |\vec r^{\,}|\hat{r} }{r^3} = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot \vec {r} }{r^3}[/tex]​

it follows, that

[tex]\vec p \cdot \vec r = p r \cos \vartheta[/tex]​

do you agree?

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5
    So does that mean that after evaluating the scalar product (where p = qd) the electric dipole potential would equal to

[tex]V(r) = \frac{q d cos\theta}{4 \pi \epsilon_o r^2}[/tex]

7. Feb 25, 2010 #6
    Absolutely right! I hope that is a sufficient answer to your question!?

8. Feb 25, 2010 #7
    Yes I can now see the whole alegebra behind the equations in the book!

Thanks very much Saunderson!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook