Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric dipole

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    Hello

The electric dipole potential is

[tex] V (\textbf{r}) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o} \frac{\textbf{p}\bullet \hat{r} }{r^2}[/tex]

I am trying to figure out the algebra in my book. How do you evaluate the scalar product of the dipole moment and the unit vector in the above equation?

I get [tex]qd cos \theta[/tex] but i am not sure if that is right.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    You might expand the fraction with [tex]|\vec r|[/tex]!

This yields

[tex]\phi (\vec r) = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot |\vec r^{\,}|\hat{r} }{r^3}[/tex]​

Maybe you cope with this!?

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    I dont understand how you expand the fraction. The vector, r in brackets is the norm of r?

I see that r-hat is the unit vector. Shouldnt r-hat = r / |r|

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    you're right

[tex]\hat r = \frac{\vec r}{|\vec r^{\,}|} \qquad \Leftrightarrow \qquad \hat r \cdot |\vec r^{\,}| = \vec r[/tex]​

this applied to the primary equation yields

[tex]\phi (\vec r) = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot |\vec r^{\,}|\hat{r} }{r^3} = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot \vec {r} }{r^3}[/tex]​

it follows, that

[tex]\vec p \cdot \vec r = p r \cos \vartheta[/tex]​

do you agree?

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5
    So does that mean that after evaluating the scalar product (where p = qd) the electric dipole potential would equal to

[tex]V(r) = \frac{q d cos\theta}{4 \pi \epsilon_o r^2}[/tex]

7. Feb 25, 2010 #6
    Absolutely right! I hope that is a sufficient answer to your question!?

8. Feb 25, 2010 #7
    Yes I can now see the whole alegebra behind the equations in the book!

Thanks very much Saunderson!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook