Evaluating Electric Dipole Potential: qd cos \theta?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the electric dipole potential and how to evaluate the scalar product in the equation. The expert summarizer helped clarify the algebra involved and confirmed the correct answer, leading to a better understanding of the topic.
ronaldoshaky
Hello

The electric dipole potential is

[tex] V (\textbf{r}) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o} \frac{\textbf{p}\bullet \hat{r} }{r^2}[/tex]

I am trying to figure out the algebra in my book. How do you evaluate the scalar product of the dipole moment and the unit vector in the above equation?

I get [tex]qd cos \theta[/tex] but i am not sure if that is right.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You might expand the fraction with [tex]|\vec r|[/tex]!

This yields
[tex]\phi (\vec r) = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot |\vec r^{\,}|\hat{r} }{r^3}[/tex]​
Maybe you cope with this!?

I don't understand how you expand the fraction. The vector, r in brackets is the norm of r?

I see that r-hat is the unit vector. Shouldnt r-hat = r / |r|

you're right

[tex]\hat r = \frac{\vec r}{|\vec r^{\,}|} \qquad \Leftrightarrow \qquad \hat r \cdot |\vec r^{\,}| = \vec r[/tex]​

this applied to the primary equation yields

[tex]\phi (\vec r) = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot |\vec r^{\,}|\hat{r} }{r^3} = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_o} \frac{\vec p \cdot \vec {r} }{r^3}[/tex]​

it follows, that

[tex]\vec p \cdot \vec r = p r \cos \vartheta[/tex]​

do you agree?

So does that mean that after evaluating the scalar product (where p = qd) the electric dipole potential would equal to

[tex]V(r) = \frac{q d cos\theta}{4 \pi \epsilon_o r^2}[/tex]

Absolutely right! I hope that is a sufficient answer to your question!?

Yes I can now see the whole alegebra behind the equations in the book!

Thanks very much Saunderson!

1. What is an electric dipole potential?

An electric dipole potential is a measure of the electric potential created by two opposite charges separated by a distance d. This potential is calculated using the equation qd cos θ, where q is the magnitude of the charges, d is the distance between them, and θ is the angle between the dipole axis and the point at which the potential is being measured.

2. How is the electric dipole potential calculated?

The electric dipole potential is calculated using the equation qd cos θ, where q is the magnitude of the charges, d is the distance between them, and θ is the angle between the dipole axis and the point at which the potential is being measured. This equation takes into account the distance and orientation of the charges to determine the potential at a specific point.

3. What factors affect the electric dipole potential?

The electric dipole potential is affected by the distance between the charges (d), the magnitude of the charges (q), and the angle (θ) between the dipole axis and the point at which the potential is being measured. As these factors change, the magnitude of the potential will also change.

4. How is the electric dipole potential different from electric field?

The electric dipole potential and electric field are related but different concepts. While the electric dipole potential is a measure of the potential energy created by two opposite charges, the electric field is a measure of the force experienced by a charged particle at a given point. The electric field is calculated using the equation E=qd/(4πε_0r^3), where E is the electric field, q is the magnitude of the charges, d is the distance between them, and r is the distance from the charges to the point where the field is being measured.

5. What are the practical applications of electric dipole potential?

The concept of electric dipole potential is used in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to explain the behavior of molecules, atoms, and particles in electric fields. In electronic devices, the electric dipole potential is used to control the movement of charged particles and create electric currents. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI, where the interaction between magnetic fields and electric dipole moments of atoms is utilized to produce images of the human body.