Electric Dipole Potential Energy Calculation

In summary: I'm not familiar with any tools for Latex typing, but I find that practice makes it easier and faster over time. You can also try using online Latex editors that have templates and autocomplete features to help with typing.
arpon

Homework Statement

An electric dipole consists of two charges of equal magnitude ##q## and opposite sign, which are kept at a distance ##d## apart. The dipole moment is ##p= qd## .
Let us next place two such dipoles, placed at distance ##r## apart, as shown in the accompanying figure.
upload_2015-1-26_15-13-44.png

a) Assuming that the potential energy for the charges while at infinity is zero, find the exact potential energy of the configuration in terms of ##d, r, q ## and fundamental constants.

b)When ##d<<r## , approximate your previous result in terms of ##p, r ## and fundamental constants.

Homework Equations

##V = \frac {1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r}##
##W = Vq##

The Attempt at a Solution

For the positve charge of A dipole, I calculated the potential energy
##= +q \cdot \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon _0} (\frac{-q}{r} + \frac {+q}{\sqrt{r^2 +d^2}} + \frac{-q}{d}) ##, because, ##W = Vq##
The potental energy for the other three charges are the same.
So, the potential energy of the configuration is
## = 4q \cdot \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon _0} (\frac{-q}{r} + \frac {+q}{\sqrt{r^2 +d^2}} + \frac{-q}{d})##
##= \frac{q^2}{\pi \epsilon _0} (- \frac{1}{r} + \frac {1}{\sqrt{r^2 +d^2}} - \frac{1}{d})##;

Then , I can't find any way how to approximate the result when ##d << r##;
In this case, I substituted ##r^2## for ##r^2 + d^2## ;
So, two of the terms in bracket are cancelled.
Then I plugged in ## q = \frac{p}{d}## ;
But, still ##d## is there.

Physics news on Phys.org
arpon said:
For the positve charge of A dipole, I calculated the potential energy
##= +q \cdot \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon _0} (\frac{-q}{r} + \frac {+q}{\sqrt{r^2 +d^2}} + \frac{-q}{d}) ##, because, ##W = Vq##
The potental energy for the other three charges are the same.

This is not correct. The potential energy (q1q2/4πεr) is for a pair of charges separated by a given distance. The way you are implementing it, you are double counting each pair and end up with double the potential energy.

arpon said:
So, the potential energy of the configuration is
## = 4q \cdot \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon _0} (\frac{-q}{r} + \frac {+q}{\sqrt{r^2 +d^2}} + \frac{-q}{d})##
##= \frac{q^2}{\pi \epsilon _0} (- \frac{1}{r} + \frac {1}{\sqrt{r^2 +d^2}} - \frac{1}{d})##;

Then , I can't find any way how to approximate the result when ##d << r##;
In this case, I substituted ##r^2## for ##r^2 + d^2## ;
So, two of the terms in bracket are cancelled.
Then I plugged in ## q = \frac{p}{d}## ;
But, still ##d## is there.

The term proportional to 1/d in your parenthesis is the energy from the construction of the dipoles themselves. This is generally going to be much higher than the potential between the dipoles. Just substituting ##r^2## for ##r^2 + d^2## is going to make the potential between the dipoles disappear (as you noticed, the terms cancelled) and you will end up with an uninteresting result. Instead, you should make an expansion of the square root for small ##d##.

Orodruin said:
This is not correct. The potential energy (q1q2/4πεr) is for a pair of charges separated by a given distance. The way you are implementing it, you are double counting each pair and end up with double the potential energy.
I agree with you. So, the potential energy will be half of my calculation.
Orodruin said:
The term proportional to 1/d in your parenthesis is the energy from the construction of the dipoles themselves. This is generally going to be much higher than the potential between the dipoles. Just substituting r2r^2 for r2+d2r^2 + d^2 is going to make the potential between the dipoles disappear (as you noticed, the terms cancelled) and you will end up with an uninteresting result. Instead, you should make an expansion of the square root for small dd.
So, I need to leave the term ##\frac {1}{d}## ?
Then it becomes,
##\frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{q^2}{\pi \epsilon _0}(- \frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{d^2 + r^2}})##
##= \frac{q^2}{2 \pi \epsilon _0}(- \frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{r} \cdot [1 + (\frac{d}{r})^2]^{- \frac{1}{2}})##
##= \frac{q^2}{2 \pi \epsilon _0} \frac{1}{r} (-1+ [1 - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{d}{r})^2] )##
##= \frac{q^2}{2 \pi \epsilon _0} \frac{1}{r} (- \frac{1}{2}(\frac{d}{r})^2))##
##= - \frac{p^2}{4 \pi \epsilon _0 r^3} ##

Last edited:
You have series expanded for r << d instead of r >> d. This
arpon said:
##= \frac{q^2}{2 \pi \epsilon _0}(- \frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{r} \cdot [1 + (\frac{r}{d})^2]^{- \frac{1}{2}})##
should be
$$
\frac{q^2}{2 \pi \epsilon _0 r}\left(- 1 + \frac{1}{ \sqrt{1 + (\frac{d}{r})^2}}\right)
$$

Orodruin said:
You have series expanded for r << d instead of r >> d. This
It was a typo. Actually, typing in Latex is bothersome. Do you know about any easy-to-use tools for Latex typing?

1. What is electric dipole potential energy?

Electric dipole potential energy is the measure of the potential energy stored in a system of two charges with opposite signs separated by a distance. It is a measure of the work required to bring the charges from an infinite distance to their current positions.

2. How is electric dipole potential energy calculated?

Electric dipole potential energy is calculated using the equation U = -(pE), where U is the potential energy, p is the magnitude of the dipole moment, and E is the electric field strength at the location of the dipole. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation U = (kq1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges on the dipole, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of electric dipole potential energy?

The magnitude of electric dipole potential energy is affected by the distance between the charges, the strength of the charges, and the direction of the dipole moment. It also depends on the medium in which the charges are located, as the electric field strength may vary in different mediums.

4. What is the relationship between electric dipole potential energy and electric potential?

Electric dipole potential energy is directly related to electric potential, as it is a measure of the work required to bring the charges from infinity to their current positions. The electric potential at a point is the electric potential energy per unit charge at that point.

5. Can electric dipole potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric dipole potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the charges on the dipole are of opposite signs and the potential energy decreases as the distance between the charges increases. It can also be negative if the dipole is in an external electric field, as the field can do work on the dipole, decreasing its potential energy.