Electric Dipoles: Convention & Field Lines

In summary, the conversation is discussing the convention of electric field lines and the direction they point in relation to positive and negative charges. They also touch on the concept of electric dipoles and how they align in an electric field. The expert summarizes the key points and clarifies any confusion about the direction of the dipole moment vector and the electric field vector.
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
The vector distance (d), what sense does it have, from positive to negative ... Or from negative to positive?
Relevant Equations
Electric dipoles
What is the convention? Because the field lines leave the positive charges and enter the negative ones, do not they?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guillem_dlc said:
What is the convention? Because the field lines leave the positive charges and enter the negative ones, do not they?
BvU said:
Can you google ?
@Guillem_dlc -- Have a look at the Wikipedia article on electric dipoles linked to by @BvU and let us know if you have any more questions. In the future, it helps if you can provide links to your reading about your question. That will either answer your question outright, or at least it will show us where your confusion is coming from. Thanks. :smile:

Field lines, by convention, come out of positive charges and enter into negative ones ... Am I right?

Guillem_dlc said:
View attachment 241346
Field lines, by convention, come out of positive charges and enter into negative ones ... Am I right?
Yes, they are in the direction of the force on a positive test particle.

berkeman said:
Yes, they are in the direction of the force on a positive test particle.
So why are they upside down in a dipole?

Guillem_dlc said:
So why are they upside down in a dipole?
Who is upside down? Put a positive test particle in that dipole E-field, and which way will it go?

berkeman said:
Who is upside down? Put a positive test particle in that dipole E-field, and which way will it go?
Towards the negative. Wait, I think I got it!

Likes berkeman
Guillem_dlc said:
Towards the negative. Wait, I think I got it!
No, I do not understand...

Will it go towards the negative because the arrow points towards the positive?

Guillem_dlc said:
No, I do not understand...

Will it go towards the negative because the arrow points towards the positive?
The E-field (and force) vector arrows in the drawing point from the + charge to the - charge, so a positive test charge placed in that field will be repelled by the + charge and attracted to the - charge.

berkeman said:
The E-field (and force) vector arrows in the drawing point from the + charge to the - charge, so a positive test charge placed in that field will be repelled by the + charge and attracted to the - charge.
I found this:
An electric dipole consists of two charges, one positive +q and the other negative -q of the same value, separated by a distance d, usually small.
The main characteristic of the electric dipole is the dipole moment, which is defined as the product of the charge q by the distance between the two charges, d, in the direction of the dipole axis and the direction of the negative charge to the positive. This magnitude is vectorial, and it is written:
p = q · d
When placing an electric dipole in an electrostatic field, the dipole tends to orient itself with its positive charge pointing in the direction of the field lines. The action of the field thus creates a moment of rotation M given by the expression:
M = p · E · sin θ

The arrows point from - to +, and the text says: "from negative to positive". Unlike the field lines, that is what confuses me.

Guillem_dlc said:
The arrows point from - to +, and the text says: "from negative to positive". Unlike the field lines, that is what confuses me.
That is the Dipole Moment Vector, not the Electric Field Vector. I see now where your confusion came from.

berkeman said:
That is the Dipole Moment Vector, not the Electric Field Vector. I see now where your confusion came from.
Clear! And is it hard to know why it has that sense?

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength and direction of the dipole.

2. How are electric dipoles conventionally represented?

Electric dipoles are conventionally represented by an arrow pointing from the negative charge to the positive charge. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the dipole moment, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the dipole moment.

3. What are field lines in relation to electric dipoles?

Field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction of the electric field. For electric dipoles, the field lines start at the positive charge and end at the negative charge.

4. How do field lines represent the strength of an electric dipole?

The closer the field lines are together, the stronger the electric field is at that point. For electric dipoles, the field lines are closer together near the charges and farther apart in between the charges.

5. Can electric dipoles exist in non-uniform electric fields?

Yes, electric dipoles can exist in non-uniform electric fields. In this case, the dipole moment will align with the direction of the electric field, but the strength of the electric field will vary at different points along the dipole.