Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Engineers student OS

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    Im an Electric Engineers student and im trying to decide to use Windows XP or Ubuntu.. Most of the programs i need will run in both if not wine will do...

What do you guys think?

System has a quadcore CPU, 2TB HD and 16gb of ram.. (I know kinda overkill but i got it for free)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    Find out what your department uses and go from there?

You shouldn't use XP 'cause it's unsupported and ubuntu is a good way to learn other operating systems, but at least at my school the EE department mostly uses XP and I'm stuck encouraging ubuntu for robotics projects.
  4. Apr 10, 2010 #3
    they use windows xp :(
  5. Apr 10, 2010 #4
    Why not dual boot?
  6. Apr 10, 2010 #5
    i guess i could do that
  7. Apr 10, 2010 #6
    Or use a vm since you've got enough gigs for it. Use the OS you want to stick with as the host and throw the experimental os on the vm.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  8. Apr 10, 2010 #7
    whats a better host for vms ubuntu or windows??
  9. Apr 10, 2010 #8
    Ubuntu linux will be a smarter choose as for robotics and other hardware interfacing stuff … you will realize linux has tons of source code available …. and parallel or serial interface in linux systems is easier if you try ..that in windows … you have to go through elaborate NT kernel apis to do so .. or if you could use some libraries in VB.

But VB as such sucks for moderately complex setup … or where u want to use some functional programming language like newton script or haskell and want to call some C libraries or vice versa. So use Linux it will save u lot of trouble and you can focus on the project instead of vast Interfaces to the operating system.
  10. Apr 10, 2010 #9
    *shrugs* Depends on what you want to do. If you game a lot, you may want windows to be the host system 'cause I've heard of some issues with mouse response times in vms. I've also heard of some issues with hardware interfacing issues with vms, so you may just want to make the host system whichever one you expect to use more with hardware.
  11. Apr 11, 2010 #10
    no gaming at all
  12. Apr 11, 2010 #11
    +1 for dual booting.
  13. Apr 11, 2010 #12
    bah ubuntu it is
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook