1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric feild and a conducter

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem shows a picture of a spherical conductor that is placed some distance away from a positive charge.

It wants me to draw in how I think the charge will be distributed.

2. Relevant equations

E=(KQq)/r^(2)

3. The attempt at a solution

My original thoughts were that the negative charge would be on the side closest to the positive charge because opposite charges attact.

But then

I remembered that the E feild inside of a conductor is always zero. So then I figured that the positive charges would be on the side closest to the positive charge because the e feild of the charges on the right side of the sphere need to be facing the opposite direction as the e feild from the outside charge in order for the e feilds to cancel each other out inside the sphere.

Is this right?

It just throws me off a little bit because I know that opposite charges attract.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    I noticed my post didn't make much sense there towards the end but I just edited so hopefully it makes sense now if anyone was having trouble understanding what I was saying.

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook