Electric field and change in Voltage question

In summary, the distances between points A, B, and C are 6.2, 7.7, and 9.9 cm, respectively. The field strength between points A and B is zero because the displacement is perpendicular to the field. The field strength between points C and A is 281.05 volts, and the field strength between points C and B is 281.05 volts.
StudentofPhysics
p19-32alt.gif

Distances:
a =6.2 cm
b =7.7 cm
c =9.9 cm
E=3650 N/C

Question 1: What is VB - VA? (Between points A & B)I found this to equal 0 as the E field moves about the Y axis. This was correct.

Question 2: VC - VB? (between points B & C) I found this to be 281.05V using Delta V = E x -Delta S. This was also correct.

Question 3: VA - VC (between points C and A). I can not figure this out.

I'm assuming the pathagorian theorem comes into play, however if one of the sides = 0 for E, then the hypotenus would eqaul 3650.

What am I forgetting?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Since VB - VA = 0, then VB = VA.

Doc Al said:
Hint: Since VB - VA = 0, then VB = VA.

I'm not seeing how that helps, sorry.

Wherever you see VA, you can replace it with VB. So, VA - VC is equivalent to what? (Then compare with question 2.)

Ahhh, I see. Thank you. I'm not entirely sure why that is correct, other than by algebra. Meaning, I get why it works through the transitive property, but if a force moving toward -y acts on a point B that is further away from point A, why the field strength would be equal and opposite.

StudentofPhysics said:
...but if a force moving toward -y acts on a point B that is further away from point A, why the field strength would be equal and opposite.
First of all, you are finding potential differences, not field strength: The field strength is given as a constant in the -y direction. In calculating potential differences between points, what matters is the displacement in the direction of the field, not merely the distance. After all, the distance between points A and B is 6.2 cm, but the potential difference is zero because the displacement is perpendicular to the field. Similarly, between C and A, and between C and B the potential difference is the same, since only the y-component of the displacement counts.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence a charged object has on other charged objects within its vicinity. It is represented by a vector, which has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by charged particles, such as electrons and protons, that exert a force on other charged particles. This force is mediated by the exchange of particles known as photons.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electric field. The magnitude of the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the voltage difference between that point and a reference point.

4. How does the electric field change when voltage is changed?

When the voltage is changed, the magnitude of the electric field at a given point will also change proportionally. If the voltage increases, the electric field will become stronger, and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of electric field and voltage in electronic devices?

Electric fields and voltage play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices. They are used to manipulate the flow of electrons and produce desired outcomes, such as generating electric currents or powering devices. Understanding and controlling these quantities is essential for designing and optimizing electronic devices.