Electric field and coffee maker

In summary, a coffee maker drawing 13.5A of current and left on for 10 minutes would have a net number of 8.1x10^3 electrons passing through it. For the second conversation, a battery rated at 12V and 160Amp-hours would store 1.9kJ of energy.
Dx
1) A coffe maker which draws 13.5A of current has been left on for 10 min. what is the net number of electrons that have passed thru the coffe maker.

[del]Q = I * [del]T = 13.5(600) = 8.1x10^3

I got this wrong, what happened?

2) a battery is rated 12V and 160Amp-hours. How much energy does the battery store?

12V * 160 = 1.9kJ

I got this wrong, can anyone gimme the correct formula(s) to plug in and solve

Physics news on Phys.org
10 minutes is 600 seconds so your answer appears to be assuming that one ampere is "one electron per second". Where did you get that idea.

I suspect that your textbook has definitions of "ampere" and "volt". I recommend that you review them.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
10 minutes is 600 seconds so your answer appears to be assuming that one ampere is "one electron per second". Where did you get that idea.

I suspect that your textbook has definitions of "ampere" and "volt". I recommend that you review them.

No it doesn't Ivy! It gives me the definition but no examples on solving these questions. I saw that 1A = 1c/s but confused on its formula. I assumed youmultiply but i donno. Can you please point me in the right direction.

Does the book have the amount of electrons per coulomb?

HallsofIvy: I suspect that your textbook has definitions of "ampere" and "volt". I recommend that you review them.

Dx: No it doesn't Ivy!

Of course it does. Any textbook worth its salt would have it.

1 Ampere is 1C/s, right?
And 1 electron has a charge of 1.6x10-19C, right?

From that you should be able to figure out how many electrons per second correspond to 1 Amp.

DX, you have a problem with reading your book. You answer firmly that your book does NOT have a definition of "ampere" and then state
"I saw that 1A = 1c/s but confused on its formula." That IS a definition of ampere! It says that one ampere means one coulomb of electricity per second. Now you need to look up how many electrons there are in a coulomb. Hint: use the index of your book.

By the way I asked "where did you get the idea that one ampere mean one electron per second" and you answered that you didn't know the definition. You HAVE to know the definitions of the words in problems before you can do the problems! Grabbing numbers out the problem at random and combining them in random ways is not a good way to solve problems.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
DX, you have a problem with reading your book. You answer firmly that your book does NOT have a definition of "ampere" and then state
"I saw that 1A = 1c/s but confused on its formula." That IS a definition of ampere! It says that one ampere means one coulomb of electricity per second. Now you need to look up how many electrons there are in a coulomb. Hint: use the index of your book.

By the way I asked "where did you get the idea that one ampere mean one electron per second" and you answered that you didn't know the definition. You HAVE to know the definitions of the words in problems before you can do the problems! Grabbing numbers out the problem at random and combining them in random ways is not a good way to solve problems.

Yes, sometimes I overlook things in the book, it happens. So what, sue me! I made a mistake and so did you by making this personal. Don't worry about me overlooking a simple definition and just remember what goes around comes around mr. index.
Dx

And if anyone else feels the same way, you can re-read my post. Man that really offends me "Ask for help and all you get is sarcassim. I didn't comprehend the fact. I asked for help set-up my problem which is what I was asked for help with not a definition." To me, your response didn't help me as i was asking so i was honest when i replied to your post.

Anyways...h20 under the bridge were cool Ivy!
Dx :wink:

Originally posted by Dx
Yes, sometimes I overlook things in the book, it happens. So what, sue me! I made a mistake and so did you by making this personal. Don't worry about me overlooking a simple definition and just remember what goes around comes around mr. index.
Dx

Chill out, Dx. Ivy is right: You don't seem to like to study. You could easily answer most of the questions you post here by reading (not skimming!) your textbook. Asking questions that are answered in the inside cover of any textbook (eg: "What's the charge on 1kg of protons?") gives the impression that you are lazy.

And if anyone else feels the same way, you can re-read my post. Man that really offends me "Ask for help and all you get is sarcassim.

That is just not true. You have posted many threads here, and no one has responed with sarcasm. It's called constructive criticism. You need to learn the difference.

Not sarcasm (by the way, you spelled it wrong :)) just facts: to do mathematics or physics you have to be PRECISE. I'm not going to sue you- you are the one that will suffer if you do not read your textbooks: 1) CAREFULLY 2) REPEATEDLY 3) WITH PAPER AND PENCIL AT HAND.

My comment about knowing the definitions was the best help I can give you: it is not enough to have a general idea what a word means. Definitions in mathematics and physics (and other studies) are WORKING definitions: you use the specific words in the definitions to work problems.

Now: How many electrons are there in a coulomb?

I want to publiclly apologize to HallsofIvy for my rude remarks. Your %100 correct Ivy, I am taking a few days off to chill out. I will be around but just reading not posting. Let's just say yesterday wasn't the greayesy of my days, ok. Anyways, You, Tom and pretty much everyone else has been a big help and even though I am getting close to the end of my Physics 2 class I want to say thanks for everything and God help me! Kidding! Seriouly, Thanks!

Tell you what, dinner on me someday. You never know when you might be setting next to ol dx on a plane or biking the mountains of Spain. YES!

PEACE OUT!
dx :wink:

Oh Yes! Almost forgot: here's your answer.

1 electron = 1.6x10-19 C

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It can be visualized as invisible lines of force that radiate outwards from a charged particle.

2. How does an electric field affect a coffee maker?

An electric field is necessary for a coffee maker to function as it is used to heat up the water and create the brewing process. The heating element in a coffee maker is made up of coils of wire that generate an electric field when electricity flows through them, which in turn heats up the water.

3. Can an electric field be dangerous for a coffee maker?

If the electric field is too strong or there is a malfunction in the electrical components of the coffee maker, it can be dangerous for the machine and potentially cause it to malfunction or even catch fire. It is important to always use a coffee maker according to the manufacturer's instructions and to have it regularly inspected for any potential electrical issues.

4. How do you measure the strength of an electric field in a coffee maker?

The strength of an electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the electric field strength in units of volts per meter (V/m). The strength of the electric field in a coffee maker can vary depending on the amount of electricity flowing through the heating element.

5. Can an electric field affect the taste of coffee?

No, the electric field in a coffee maker does not directly affect the taste of coffee. However, if there is a malfunction in the electrical components of the coffee maker, it can potentially affect the brewing process and result in a different taste. It is important to regularly clean and maintain the coffee maker to ensure the best tasting coffee.