How Do Metals Affect Electric Fields and EM Waves?

In summary: This process leads to the wave being reflected off the metal interface rather than passing through it. In summary, when an EM wave encounters a metal interface, the electrons in the metal are easily accelerated and reflect the wave rather than allowing it to pass through.
wasi-uz-zaman
hi, i want to ask explanation that if in front of electric fields lines comes a metal plate, than as far i know electric field does not pass through it, but how would i expalin as electric field can exert force on free electrons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question does not make sense to me. It sounds like asking why you stop seeing things when you put on a blindfold.

wasi-uz-zaman said:
hi, i want to ask explanation that if in front of electric fields lines comes a metal plate, than as far i know electric field does not pass through it, but how would i expalin as electric field can exert force on free electrons.
There is no electric field inside a conductor in static equilibrium but once you allow the charges to move in a certain direction like creating a circuit, electric fields can exist inside conductors.

That is what I understood from your question.

wasi-uz-zaman said:

The external electric field attracts the electrons, but they are not able to leave the metal as the positively charged ions of the metal also attract them. Upon application of the external electric field the electrons will move until the two forces are balanced out. Since this charge separation creates an electric field pointed in the opposite direction of the first and of the same magnitude, the two fields cancel each other out inside the conductor. This wouldn't necessarily mean that the field on the other side of the plate is cancelled, however. In general I don't think that's true.

thanks that helps , actually i am figuring out why EM waves cannot pass through metal interface.
wasi

wasi-uz-zaman said:
thanks that helps , actually i am figuring out why EM waves cannot pass through metal interface.
wasi

The electrons in the metal are easily accelerated under the influence of the EM wave. This makes it very easy for the metal to absorb the the wave or for the electrons to undergo a collective oscillation that tends to reflect the wave.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds and interacts with electrically charged objects. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of electric charges.

2. How do conductors interact with electric fields?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely through them. When placed in an electric field, the charges within a conductor will redistribute themselves to cancel out the electric field inside the conductor. This results in a net zero electric field within the conductor.

3. What is the difference between an insulator and a conductor?

Insulators are materials that do not easily allow electric charges to flow through them. They have high resistance to the flow of electricity. Conductors, on the other hand, have low resistance and allow electric charges to flow freely through them.

4. Can electric fields be shielded by conductors?

Yes, conductors can shield electric fields. When a conductor is placed between a source of electric field and an object, it will block the electric field from reaching the object. This is why conductive materials, such as metal, are often used to make protective enclosures for sensitive electronic devices.

5. How are electric fields and conductors used in everyday life?

Electric fields and conductors have a wide range of uses in everyday life. Some common examples include the use of conductors in electrical wiring to transmit electricity, the use of electric fields in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, and the use of conductive materials in household appliances like toasters and hair dryers.