1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and dipole

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1
    Is this the correct equation to find the electric field at point p from a dipole?
    upload_2016-9-9_3-33-52.png
    upload_2016-9-9_3-34-2.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Novel, :welcome:

You don't want to delete the template; it's very useful for you as well as for us. See the guidelines.

Answer to your question: No. ##\ \vec E\ ## is a vector. What does your E describe, you think ?

4. Sep 9, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I'll make sure to not delete the template next time. I think my E describes the magnitude of the electric field. After calculating the magnitude, I can decide if it's positive or negative. So in this case, E is negative, because E is going down, away from positive and toward negative. Is this right?

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll give you some leeway because you are new here (let's hope I don't get chastized for that).
    Also because I think you have a fair idea what you are doing, but you stumble because you are going too fast.

Again, ##\vec E## is a vector. I've drawn the two contributions from the +Q and the -Q in the figure.
    There are no other contributions, so the field at P is the sum of these two. The vector sum, that is. Your job to do this vector addition. Andf yes, x/r appears in there (not x/R but x/r; I don't see or know of R in your post. Work accurately :smile:). And yes, it's downwards. Easy exercise, but a good vehicle to learn to work systematically.

upload_2016-9-9_12-12-42.png

6. Sep 9, 2016 #5
    I think I understand.

E = kQ/r2 * cos(theta) because the y-components cancel out and we just want to get the x-component. I'll call the horizontal distance d (in a real problem it would be given or I could find it with trig), so cos(theta) = d/r. Therefore E = kQ/r2 * d/r = kQd/r3.

7. Sep 9, 2016 #6
    I just realized my mistake. It's the x-components that cancel, not the y. So E = kQ/r2 * sin(theta) = kQ/r2 * x/r = kQx/r3 and then multiply by 2 because there are two charges acting on P in the same direction. So E = 2kQx/r3.

8. Sep 9, 2016 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me. x and y are a bit confusing here because of the x's in the figure.

9. Sep 9, 2016 #8
    Right, I realized that I should have chose a different variable name than x. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted