1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and force

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Electric field and force ...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have 2 identical thin rods , each has a length of 2a and carry a charge of +Q , uniformly distributed along their lengths , and both lie on the horizontal X-axis , and the distance between their centers is "b" ...
    I need to calculate the electric field and the magnitude of the force exerted by the left rod on the right one.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that F=Q*E
    and the electric field done by a charged rod on a point in its axis is E= K*Q/d(d+L) where L is the length of the rod , and d is the distance between the rod and the point.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I didn't know how to start :S , no need for a full solution , I just need a push and tell me how to start to solve it .. thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You have to integrate along the length of the right rod.

If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the linear charge density of the right rod, then find the force due to left rod on an element of length dx on the right rod which is at a distance of x from the left rod. Now integrate, putting the proper limits of x, that is, the values of x on the left and right extremities of the rod on the right respectively.
  4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    can someone explain a litle bit more .. didn't really understand ... my english isnt that good
  5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

So you don’t need a push, but a slightly bigger shove. Here goes!

Draw a diagram first of the two rods. Take a small length dx on the right rod, at a distance x from the right tip of the left rod. This dx length has got a charge of dq = [itex]

What is the field at this point due to the charge of the left rod? This is at a distance of x from the right end of the left rod. Apply the formula you have written. (I have not checked it, but looks all right.) The field should be then KQ/[x(x+2a)].

So the force on this dq on the right rod should be given by:

dF = Field*Charge = KQdq/[x(x+a)] = K[itex]\lambda[/itex]dx/[x(x+a)] => the total force F should be given by:

[tex]F = \int^{b}_{b-2a}\frac{KQ\lambda dx}{x(x+2a)}[/tex].
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    thanks mate , thats very helpful ... :)
  7. Mar 29, 2008 #6
    I continued the integration .. and I got as final answer : F = (KQ^2/4a^2)ln(b^2/b^2 - 4a^2)
    I think it is right , can you confirm this ?
    thanks alot mate , I really appreciate your help ^_^ , you are the best.
  8. Mar 29, 2008 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Bracket is missing: (KQ^2/4a^2)ln(b^2/(b^2 - 4a^2)).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?