1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and point charge problem please help

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle with mass m and chare, q<0, moves in the field of a POINT charge Q>0, which is fixed in the origine of a cartesian coordinate system. The particle starts at REST in a distance R on the x axis of a cartesian coordinate system : r(o)(vector) = Rix(vector), V(o) = 0

a) ... what is the force on the particle with charge "q" . Write down the equation of motion.

b) Show that the particle moves in a straight line along the x - axis!

C) prove the energy conservcation LAW :

[(m/2)(dx/dt)^2] + qQ / 4(pi)[E(not)]abs(x) = E = const!

d) how long does it take for the particle to reach the center ( where the charge Q sits)

2. Relevant equations

a) - i thing that the force is F = Qq/4(pi)(E(not)(R^2)times(-ix) unit vector , cuz it is moving from the right to the center... since Q is fixed! but tell me if i am right or wrong please..

b) I have no idea how to prove that mathematically...obviously there is no reason that q should move along the Y axis... but don't know what to do...

c) it says that i have to use the time derivative of the expression above and to use the equation of motion for x to show that it vanishes.. i don't get that HINT :( we have to assume that X is bigger than zero

d) says that i have to use the energy conservation law from part c....

there is nothing like that in our book....idk..

please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    b) Hello, you have a good start. You already showed that part b was true when you calculated the force. The force vector only has an x component, so the particle must only move along the x axis.

c) Remember that [itex]F = m \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}[/itex]. What did you get for part c as it is?

d) Yes, if you use energy conservation then you can figure out when the particles collide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?