1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and WORK HELP test TOMORROW

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    Electric Field and WORK....HELP...test TOMORROW!!!

Can someone explain to me when I am calculating work and W = Delta U + Delta K. How do I know when there is potential energy? This is for electric fields. I know there is Kinetic when the charge is moving.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Are you talking about work done by an electric field?

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    yes.

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Usually I do not think you consider gravitational potential energy as what you consider are very small point charges. What exactly do you need to know?

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    I want to know when do I know there is electric potential energy involved. Because in some of my problems when we calculate the work done we only include kinetic or only include potential and sometime both. But I don't know how to decipher when to use which ones? I hope I am making some sense : )

7. Jan 23, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Hmmm....Well I cannot say for sure because that would depend on what the question is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?