1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field around a light bulb

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the peak electric field 2 metres away from a 60W light bulb. Assume that the light emits light evenly in all directions (spherically uniform).

2. Relevant equations

I figure that this is to do with the poynting vector.
    [tex]S = \frac{1}{\mu_0}(\vec{E} \times \vec{B})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The total surface integral of the poynting vector at 2 metres away from the bulb should give 60W. From this, the E field can be worked out (Since the magnitude of B is E/mu).

i.e.

[tex]\int{\vec{S} \cdot \vec{dA}} = \int{\frac{1}{\mu_0}(\vec{E} \times \vec{B}) \cdot \vec{dA}} [/tex]
    and since the emission is spherically symmetric, S can be taken outside of the integral. This gives that
    [tex]\frac{1}{\mu_0}(\vec{E} \times \vec{B}) \times \frac{4}{3}\pi 2^2 = 60[/tex] (r=2)

Since [STRIKE][tex]B_0 = \frac{E_0}{\mu_0}[/tex][/STRIKE]

[tex]E_0 = \frac{B_0}{\mu_0}[/tex]​
    this means that [tex]E_0 = \sqrt{\frac{60 \times {\mu_0}^2}{\frac{4}{3}\pi\times 4}} = 0.0021 Vm^{-1}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2
    No. The 60 watts isn't radiated away except as blackbody radiation. Although that counts, the exercise might be about the dipole electric field of a 120 volt generator connected to a 240 ohm resistor.

Edit: you're probably right. The problem says that the light goes in all directions, not that the filament has such and such dimensions.

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    Sorry I noticed an error (area of the sphere)
    [tex]A=4 \pi r^2[/tex]

5. Jun 1, 2010 #4
    Haha, that's embarrassing! I'd also forgotten to square the mu_0 in my numerical answer.

That gives that the final answer is 0.00000137 Vm^-1 or 1.37 microvolts.

6. Jun 3, 2010 #5
    In addition, B_0 doesn't equal mu_0 times E_0, it equals c times E_0!

But that gives me an answer of 21 Volts! I'm pretty sure that this would pose some problems in real life, so that's a ridiculous answer! Any help please??

7. Jun 3, 2010 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

yeah i think you should use
    B = E/c ;)

if you write out the equations, its easier to see what you've done

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook