1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Between Plates

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1
    Alright, here's the problem. You're told that there are two square metal plates with side length L and a distance d away from each other. One has charge +Q, the other -Q. Then they ask for the magnitude for the charge between the plates, not close to the edge.

Here's what I have so far: The electric field between them obviously isn't 0.

I've got sigma = (magnitude of charge)/area.
    The electric field for one plate is E = sigma/(2 * epsilon).
    Since the fields from both plates in between them point in the same direction, the total field would be E = sigma/epsilon.

This was going great until I realized the I still had an unused variable, distance d. I have no idea of what to do with it. I tried multiplying E by d, then dividing it by d, but I don't like the way those numbers look. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Separation distance d is immaterial to the electric field if d is small compared to L. Does the question go on to ask about the capacitance?

AM

4. Feb 5, 2005 #3
    Nope. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I have pictured (since there is no picture to go with the problem):

| - ---> +
    | - ---> +
    | - ---> +
    L - <-d-> +
    | - ---> +
    | - ---> +
    | - ---> +

For the record, L = 0.82m and d = 0.022m

I'm not sure if that would be considered a significant difference, but they gave me a value, so I'm scared to ignore it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  5. Feb 5, 2005 #4
    bu-du-bump!

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry,but to me the problem does not make too much sense.What's inbetween the plates??Vacuum,a conductive medium,a dielectric,what??
    Besides,how would u get the charge?

Daniel.

7. Feb 5, 2005 #6
    Ok, I'll put it verbatim.

Two square metal plates are placed parallel to each other, separated by a distance d = 2.20 cm. The plates have sides of length L = 0.820 m. One of the plates has charge Q = + 2.70 x 10^-3 C, while the other plate has charge -Q. What is the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, not close to the edge?

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7
    lalalabump

9. Feb 5, 2005 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Better listen to Andrew and ignore that separation distance. Note that the equation you are using for the field:
    "The electric field for one plate is E = sigma/(2 * epsilon)." ​
    is only accurate for distances that are small compared to L. Use it. That's what they want.

10. Feb 5, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's something totally different.Here's something from your first post: "Then they ask for the magnitude for the charge between the plates, not close to the edge. "... :rolleyes:

Daniel.

11. Feb 5, 2005 #10
    Hahaha, I was doing it right the whole time. The only thing was that I kept putting 8.55 E -12 for epsilon instead of 8.85. Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?