1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field calculation

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a sphere with radius b, within that sphere there's another sphere with radius a. Between the two spheres we have an electric charge with density A/r. Also, we have a charge Q in the center. We need to find the constant A so that the field between a and b is independent of r (meaning, it's constant for a<=r<=b).

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss' law.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I added the scanned pages I've written, it should be understandable. As I said, I used Gauss' law to calculate the field, using a sphere with radius r (a<=r<=b) to calculate the electric flux. After finding the electric field as a function of r, I calculated d(E(r))/dr and demanded that it would be=0, but I can't seem to get a solution for A that's independent of r.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In your work, you had

[tex] Qin = \frac{A}{r} \left[ \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 - \frac{4}{3}\pi a^3 \right] + Q [/tex]

That's not right. You're going to need to re-evaluate the volume integral. The [tex] (4/3)\pi r^3 [/tex] terms only makes sense if the charge distribution is uniformly distributed about the sphere. You can't just multiply them by A/r. It doesn't work that way. You'll have to re-do the volume integral, integrating A/r' from r' = a to r in spherical coordinates (be careful to use the correct volume differential when performing the integral -- it's not simply dr') .

Once you have an expression for the electric field, E, don't worry about taking the derivative. Instead, find the electric field at r = a, and call that Ea. Then find Eb, the electric field at r = b. Set Ea and Eb equal to each other and solve for A.

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    How did I not notice that..thanks, that solved it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook