Electric field due to large non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed charge

1. Hi all ..
    I was studying this electric field due to infinite non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed positive charge..Electric field due to it is of same direction and magnitude at any point..Which is called uniform electric field!I understood why direction of field is always perpendicular to plane of sheet and away from it..But i have doubt why it same same magnitude everywhere??Is it because it is infinite?

2. jcsd
  3. Re: Electric field due to large non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed cha

Its infinite..Just make sure

4. clem

clem 1,276
    Science Advisor

Re: Electric field due to large non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed cha

Because the plane is infinite, you can use symmetry to argue that the field mst be perpendicular to the plane. Then, Gauss's law can be used to show that E does ot depend on the distance from the plane.

5. Claude Bile

Claude Bile 1,479
    Science Advisor

Re: Electric field due to large non conducting sheet having uniformly distributed cha

As the sheet is infinite, the lines of flux cannot diverge. Henceforce, the E field is constant no matter what distance you are from the infinite sheet of charge.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook