Understanding Electric Fields and Calculating E= dV/dS

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab assignment involving drawing dots to map an electric field. The person is unsure about which direction the field points and how to calculate its strength using the equation E= dV/dS. They also question what dS represents and how to calculate the value of E using the equation E=kq/r^2. The conversation also mentions using the vector sum of electric fields generated by multiple point charges. The expert suggests using the radius, r, from the point charge to measure the strength of the electric field. However, the person is unsure about the significance of the dots and the overall purpose of the assignment.
cheater1

Homework Statement

OK we had a lab and the lab was to draw some dots mapping a electric field. I connected the dots, but i have no idea which way the field points and how to calculate the electric field. I think we need to use E= dV/dS , but i have no idea what dS is. Do i just take the distance between the lines? I'm so confuse Please help me

Homework Equations

E= dV/dS

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any1?

I am not sure what your question is asking, are you just trying to figure out which direction the field lines point?

Galgenstrick said:
I am not sure what your question is asking, are you just trying to figure out which direction the field lines point?

yes that part of it. My second question is how to i calculate for the value E?

if you place a positive test charge anywhere inside an electric field, the field lines point in the direction this test charge would move.

To calculate E, you can use the equation E=kq/r^2 in the direction of r, where q is the charge of the point, and k is the coulomb constant. if there are more than one point charges, it is just the vector sum of the electric fields generated by each point.

Last edited:
Galgenstrick said:
if you place a positive test charge anywhere inside an electric field, the field lines point in the direction this test charge would move.

To calculate E, you can use the equation E=kq/r^2 in the direction of r, where q is the charge of the point, and k is the coulomb constant. if there are more than one point charges, it is just the vector sum of the electric fields generated by each point.

how do i get r? do i measure the lines?

yes, r is the radius from the point charge to where you are measuring the strength of the electric field.

Galgenstrick said:
yes, r is the radius from the point charge to where you are measuring the strength of the electric field.

ty, I am going to do it, what is the value if should expect?

That depends on the problem. I don't know what the charges are or where they are located...

Where did the dots come from? What does a row of connected dots represent?

SammyS said:
Where did the dots come from? What does a row of connected dots represent?

That the thing I have no idea. All we did was connect a battery and draw on a Electric field mapper. have no idea what the lines mean.

It's pretty tough to analyze data when you have no idea what the data represents.

What is the concept of Electric field E= dV/dS?

The concept of Electric field E= dV/dS is a mathematical representation of the electric field, which is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential (V) with respect to the distance (S) in the direction of the electric field.

How is Electric field E= dV/dS different from electric potential (V)?

Electric field E= dV/dS and electric potential (V) are related but distinct concepts. While electric field describes the force experienced by a charged particle, electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. Electric field is the derivative of electric potential, meaning it describes the change in potential energy with respect to distance.

What is the SI unit of Electric field E= dV/dS?

The SI unit of Electric field E= dV/dS is volts per meter (V/m). This unit is derived from the units of electric potential (V) and distance (m) in the equation.

How is Electric field E= dV/dS measured or calculated?

Electric field E= dV/dS can be measured directly using a device called an electric field meter. It can also be calculated using the equation E= dV/dS, where the electric potential (V) is measured or known and the distance (S) is measured or calculated.

What are some real-world applications of Electric field E= dV/dS?

Electric field E= dV/dS has many real-world applications, including in electronics, telecommunications, and power generation. It is used to design and optimize electrical circuits, calculate the strength of electric fields in electronic devices, and determine the optimal placement of electric power lines. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiography and electroencephalography.