Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Electric field equation

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1
    I was reading a book on Electromagnetism and it's said on deriving the electric field that $$\nabla \frac{1}{|x-x'|} = - \frac{x-x'}{|x-x'|^3}$$ where ##|x-x'|## is the magnitude of the distance between two point charges. I've tried to derive this result and I found that $$\nabla |x-x'| = \frac{x-x'}{|x-x'|}$$ must be true for the first identity to be valid. Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it essentially boils down to ##\nabla r = \vec e_r## in spherical coordinates.

4. Mar 19, 2017 #3
    Thanks. Can you point out where I'm wrong?

I'm assuming a Minkowskian metric, so vectors- and covectors- components are equal. So we have ##|x-x'| = \sum_i(x^i - x'^{\ i})^2##. I guess we need some formalism to express ##x-x'##, because it's a vector. Let's say an arbitrary vector can be written as ##V = V^i \partial_i##. Then ##x - x' = (x^i - x'^{\ i})\partial_i ##. We have then $$ \nabla |x-x'| = \frac{x-x'}{|x-x'|} = \sum_i\partial_i[(x^i-x'^{\ i})^2] = \sum_i\frac{(x^i - x'^{\ i})\partial_i}{(x^i - x'^{\ i})^2}$$
    If we apply the derivative on the far right-hand-side on ##|x-x'|##, we get a bad result, namely ##(x^i - x'^{\ i}) = 1##. I guess this can't be right..

5. Mar 19, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you using ##|\vec x| = x^i x^i##?? This does not even make sense dimensionally. You are missing some square roots ...

6. Mar 19, 2017 #5
    Oh yea. I got the correct result now. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted