1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field for a capacitor

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have browsed similar threads and have only found more confusion. My question is if I have two parallel plates with an area A = 1m^2 and they are separated by a distance d = .03m. Each has a charge of Q and -Q respectively where Q = 1nC. I want to find the electric field between the plates.

2. Relevant equations

The equation I used was from my textbook: δ/2ε˳

3. The attempt at a solution

So I said that E(+) = 1nC/2(8.85x10^-12) and that E(tot) = 2(E(+)) = 112.99 n/c. However, this calculation does not take into account the distance between the two plates which I feel it should. Where have I gone wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

You would need to calculate the capacitance - and then use Q = CV.

4. Feb 12, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can calculate the field by going the route suggested by Svein, or by using the formula provided. The distance between the plates doesn't matter for the second method provided that the geometry of the capacitor allows the "field is uniform between plates" assumption to hold and what's called "fringe effects" can be neglected. This is almost always the case for problems that are assigned.

5. Feb 12, 2015 #4
    Okay so where did I go wrong when using the provided formula? Or did I do that right?

6. Feb 12, 2015 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks right to me. You summed the field contributions of the two plates.

7. Feb 12, 2015 #6
    Oh :P okay thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted