Electric field for radially polarized coil

In summary, Jason is seeking help visualizing the electric field of a radially polarized electromagnet he created, and has attached an article for reference. He is looking for insights from the forum to aid in his project.
Jdo300
Hello All,

A while back, I created a document describing how one could create a radially polarized electromagnet (like a doughnut with the North pole in the center and the south pole on the outer edge) and I would like to know what the e-field would look like when the current is increasing in the coil.

It is easy to visualize the E field for a cylindrical coil with a changing magnet field but I'm having a hard time visualizing the vectors for the radial coil. In case this helps, I have attached the article I made about the coils.

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• Method of producing Radially Wound Electromagnets.pdf
    320.5 KB · Views: 295
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jason,

It sounds like a fascinating project you have been working on. I'm not sure about the exact answer to your question but perhaps someone on the forum can give you some useful insights. I suggest posting a link to your article for others to review and see if they can help out. Good luck with your project!

Hello Jason,

Thank you for sharing your article on creating a radially polarized electromagnet. The electric field for a radially polarized coil would be quite different from a cylindrical coil with a changing magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field lines in a radially polarized coil are perpendicular to the axis of the coil, whereas in a cylindrical coil they are parallel to the axis.

To visualize the electric field, we can use Gauss's law, which states that the electric field is proportional to the charge enclosed by a closed surface. In this case, the charge is the current flowing through the coil. As the current increases, the charge enclosed also increases, resulting in a stronger electric field.

The electric field lines in a radially polarized coil would be radial, originating from the center of the coil and extending outwards towards the outer edge. The strength of the electric field would be strongest at the center of the coil and decrease as we move towards the outer edge. This is because the magnetic field lines, which are perpendicular to the electric field lines, are strongest at the center and decrease towards the outer edge.

I hope this helps with visualizing the electric field for a radially polarized coil. Please feel free to ask any further questions or provide any additional information. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. What is a radially polarized coil?

A radially polarized coil is a type of electromagnetic coil that produces an electric field with a radial symmetry, meaning the field lines emanate outward from the center of the coil in a circular pattern. This type of coil is commonly used in applications such as induction heating and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

3. How is the electric field strength calculated for a radially polarized coil?

The electric field strength for a radially polarized coil can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the electric charge, and r is the distance from the center of the coil.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a radially polarized coil?

The strength of the electric field in a radially polarized coil is affected by the magnitude of the electric charge, the distance from the center of the coil, and the shape and size of the coil. Additionally, the number of turns in the coil and the material used in the coil can also impact the strength of the electric field.

5. What are some practical applications of a radially polarized coil?

Radially polarized coils have various practical applications, including induction heating, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and particle accelerators. They are also used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. Additionally, radially polarized coils are used in scientific research to study the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.