Understanding Electric Field Graph: An In-Depth Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses a graph with the equation E = (Kq)/r^2 and the concept of Gauss's law. The graph shows a peculiar pattern and the speakers struggle to understand it. One speaker suggests thinking about Gauss's law, which eventually leads to the realization that the field inside the shell is only due to the point charge at the center, while outside the shell it is due to both the center and the charges on the shell.
Zythyr
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1734/31435463kr9.jpg [Broken]

I am not really sure how to approach this problem. I have no idea how to do it. I can't understand how to read this graph.

E = (Kq)/r^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this graph is very peculiar at first, and it took me a few minutes to realize what was going on. [Hint: Think about Gauss's law.]

I am thinking about Gauss's law, but I still can't figure it out.

The field inside the shell is due to the point charge at the center of the shell only while out side the shell is due to the charges at the center and on the shell..

1. What is an electric field graph?

An electric field graph is a visual representation of the strength and direction of an electric field at different points in space. It is a vector field, meaning that it shows both the magnitude and direction of the electric field at each point.

2. How is an electric field graph created?

An electric field graph is created by plotting vectors at various points in space, with the length and direction of the vectors representing the strength and direction of the electric field at that point. The vectors are typically drawn as arrows, with longer arrows indicating a stronger electric field.

3. What do the lines in an electric field graph represent?

The lines in an electric field graph, also known as equipotential lines, represent points in space that have the same electric potential. This means that no work is required to move an electric charge along these lines, as the potential energy remains constant.

4. How can an electric field graph be used to understand a physical situation?

An electric field graph can provide valuable information about the behavior of electric charges in a given situation. By analyzing the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the spacing of the equipotential lines, one can determine the path a charged particle would take and the amount of work required to move it in a particular direction.

5. What factors affect the shape and size of an electric field graph?

The shape and size of an electric field graph can be affected by several factors, including the distribution and strength of electric charges, the distance between charges, and the presence of conductors or insulators. Additionally, the electric field graph may change as the charges move or as external electric fields are applied.