1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field GRE Problem

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/64

I'm confused. How can there be a charge density if the electric field is one dimensional?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2
    Think about charged sheets. What would be the electric field because of a charged sheet that is infinite in size?

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3
    so there is an electric field through e_x and e_y but it comes from the e_z field? like it says e_x and e_y are zero but say there was a point (1,0,0) (x,y,z). The "sheet" in the field would make there be an electric field in the x?

I don't know if i'm saying what i'm thinking clearly. I mean it looks the problem states that there is NO E field in the x and y domains, and yet if there is an E field in the Z domain, there can still be an E field in the X and Y because it is a distance r away from the Z. Dig?

5. Sep 13, 2013 #4
    What if the sheet of charge is in the x-y plane and is infinite?

6. Sep 13, 2013 #5
    The "domain" is a region of space. There are no ex and ey domains.
    Every point in the domain has coordinates x,y,z. The field is all along the z direction, in every point.
    The field lines are all parallel to each other and to the z axis.
    Te magnitude of the field changes linearly along the z axis.

Yous just need to see if this field can satisfy Maxwell's equations, and if it can, in what conditions.

7. Sep 13, 2013 #6
    Sorry about my previous reply. There was power shortage in my area. Ignore that reply completely. Try calculating the charge density in such a space. It weirdly turns out to be a constant. This means there is a uniform charge distribution throughout the space. I really don't think you can go in the reverse direction (assuming a uniform charge distribution in space and finding the field proportional to z). This seems very weird. The only positive thing here is that there does exist a charge density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted