1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field hard question

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    Electric Field hard question :(

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the electric field between two parralel plats, each of area 1 m^2 which are separated by a distance of 0.01 m, if each plate is charged equally but oppositely with a charge of magnitude 8.84 x 10^-8 C?

2. Relevant equations
    E= kQ/ d^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried to find the electric field at each plat using E= kQ/ d^2. Because it says in the question 'find the electric field between the two parralel plates, does this mean the midpoint?
    i dont really get what to do with the area either?
    Any Help would be greatly appreciated
    THANKYOU :^)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2
    Re: Electric Field hard question :(

The electric field between two parallel plates, when their separation is much smaller than their size, is uniform (as long as you stay away from the edges)
    and has a magnitude equal to the charge density divided by the permissivity of the medium.

The area is given to you so that you calculate the charge surface density. I think you can find plenty of information on this topic in any good electrostatics textbook.
  4. Sep 15, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Re: Electric Field hard question :(

Make use of Gauss law and symmetry here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?