Electric Field Homework: Rank Protons by Acceleration

In summary, the five protons are accelerated by the electric field and are ranked according to their magnitude of acceleration.
Philip KP

Homework Statement

The figure below shows five protons that are launched in a uniform electric field E (green). The magnitude and direction of the launch velocities are indicated. Rank the protons according to the magnitude of their accelerations due to the field, greatest first. Justify.

https://canvas.ewu.edu/courses/1017106/files/35335813/preview

Homework Equations

E=k(Q/r^2)
–e = –1.60 * 10–19 C.
E=F/Q
F=k((Qxq)/(r^2))
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that the charge of proton is the positive value of the charge of electron. I also feel like I know which equations are needed, but I'm not sure about if for instance proton d is moving at 5m/s after it is going against the electric field? That means the acceleration must be pretty great to go against the uniform electric field. I'm not sure, I feel lost and can't meet with teacher until after its due. Any help appreciated

Attachments

• HW 9.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 558
  • Extra question 1.png
    Extra question 1.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 965
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how to allow the image to be seen so I attached pdf

Philip KP said:
Not sure how to allow the image to be seen so I attached pdf
Hi Philip KP. Welcome to Physics Forums.

You can upload various formats of image files such as jpeg or giff and insert them as full images in the body of your post (see the options next to the individual image icon associated with the attached file).

For your posted problem, what determines the magnitude of the acceleration of a charge in an electric field? Does the formula depend on velocity?

Likes Philip KP
Philip KP said:

Homework Statement

The figure below shows five protons that are launched in a uniform electric field E (green). The magnitude and direction of the launch velocities are indicated. Rank the protons according to the magnitude of their accelerations due to the field, greatest first. Justify.

https://canvas.ewu.edu/courses/1017106/files/35335813/preview

Homework Equations

E=k(Q/r^2)
–e = –1.60 * 10–19 C.
E=F/Q
F=k((Qxq)/(r^2))
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that the charge of proton is the positive value of the charge of electron. I also feel like I know which equations are needed, but I'm not sure about if for instance proton d is moving at 5m/s after it is going against the electric field? That means the acceleration must be pretty great to go against the uniform electric field. I'm not sure, I feel lost and can't meet with teacher until after its due. Any help appreciated
Welcome to the PF.

Hmm, that's a pretty confusing question (at least for me). The acceleration in a uniform E field is independent of any initial velocity. It just depends on the magnitude and direction of the E-field, and the charge and mass of the object.

You've correctly re-stated the problem, so I'm not sure what they are really asking. The velocities will certainly be different as the protons are accelerated by the field, but their accelerations will be the same. Maybe try answering the question about ranking their velocities, and see if that might be what they are asking. Can you submit your answer electronically to see if it's right? How many tries do you have?

EDIT -- beaten out by gneill again! :smile:

Likes Philip KP
It's not electronic unfortunately. Good old fashion paper turn in. I guess I do know the mass of protons though is 1.67x10^-27 kg. I also understand the strength of the electric field depends on how close it is to the charge.

Philip KP said:
I also understand the strength of the electric field depends on how close it is to the charge.
No, the field that the protons are launched into is specified as a uniform electric field. The field from each of the protons depends on the distance from the proton, but that doesn't enter into the force calculation for the force on the protons due to the uniform electric field that they are launched into.

berkeman said:
No, the field that the protons are launched into is specified as a uniform electric field. The field from each of the protons depends on the distance from the proton, but that doesn't enter into the force calculation for the force on the protons due to the uniform electric field that they are launched into.
Ok so the equations involving "r" (distance) are irrelevant

Philip KP said:
Would kinetic energy come into play here? Since we know the velocity and mass of protons?
KE=(1/2)mv^2

Philip KP said:
In this case, yes. If the E-field were not uniform, and were caused by some charge somewhere, then the distance r would be important.

You can get a uniform E-field between the plates of a capacitor, for example.

I still don't know what this problem could be asking, though. Unless they want you to rank the velocities instead of accelerations. I suppose it could be a trick question -- the answer is that all of the protons experience the same acceleration in the uniform E-field, and then say what happens to the vector velocities and rank them instead...?

Philip KP said:
Would kinetic energy come into play here? Since we know the velocity and mass of protons?
KE=(1/2)mv^2
Maybe. Certainly you could rank the KEs as a function of time, but that doesn't seem to be what they are asking for...

berkeman said:
In this case, yes. If the E-field were not uniform, and were caused by some charge somewhere, then the distance r would be important.

You can get a uniform E-field between the plates of a capacitor, for example.

I still don't know what this problem could be asking, though. Unless they want you to rank the velocities instead of accelerations. I suppose it could be a trick question -- the answer is that all of the protons experience the same acceleration in the uniform E-field, and then say what happens to the vector velocities and rank them instead...?
Ugh yeah my professor likes to give more conceptual questions sometimes so there might not be hard calculations to do but instead just a rule or law I need to be explaining

Philip KP said:
Ugh yeah my professor likes to give more conceptual questions sometimes so there might not be hard calculations to do but instead just a rule or law I need to be explaining
So it might indeed be a trick question. Since you are handing in the paper version, you could say "they all have the same acceleration in the uniform E-field" and explain why. Then rank their velocities versus time just in case that's what they meant to ask...

berkeman said:
So it might indeed be a trick question. Since you are handing in the paper version, you could say "they all have the same acceleration in the uniform E-field" and explain why. Then rank their velocities versus time just in case that's what they meant to ask...
So uniform electric field causes their acceleration to be the same...even if they have same mass and moving at different velocities?

Philip KP said:
So uniform electric field causes their acceleration to be the same...even if they have same mass and moving at different velocities?
You tell me... What is the equation for the force on a charged particle in a uniform electric field E, related to the particle's charge and its mass...

And what is the related equation for the acceleration of the particle in that situation...

berkeman said:
You tell me... What is the equation for the force on a charged particle in a uniform electric field E, related to the particle's charge and its mass...
I'm trying to find where it talks about uniform electric fields in my book but they are don't have anything saying "uniform". But I think the equation for force on a charge is F=Q x E
And the only equation I can think of for acceleration and force is F=ma

Philip KP said:
I'm trying to find where it talks about uniform electric fields in my book but they are don't have anything saying "uniform". But I think the equation for force on a charge is F=Q x E
Yes. And so what would the resulting acceleration be? :smile:

berkeman said:
Yes. And so what would the resulting acceleration be? :smile:
F=ma=Q x E?
m(same for all protons) x a(what we need to find) = [ Q(which is same for all protons) x E (which is uniform)]

So we need to find the force

So I cheated a bit and googled how to find acceleration from velocity of proton and got this on Yahoo
F = Qvb
(Q- charge of proton = 1.6 x 10 ^-19 C (constant))
(v- velocity of proton) We know their velocities
(b-magnetic field) We know the E is uniform

F=ma We find force from equation above
(Electromagnetic force acting on proton)
(m- mass of proton = 1.67 x an^-27 kg (constant))
(a - acceleration of proton) We need to find this

combine the two formulas:
a = Qvb/m

I don't know if magnetic field is same as electric field

Philip KP said:
F=ma=Q x E?
m(same for all protons) x a(what we need to find) = [ Q(which is same for all protons) x E (which is uniform)]

So we need to find the force
Since F=Q x E but E is uniform does that mean F=Q??

Philip KP said:
b-magnetic field
There is no magnetic B field specified in this problem...

Philip KP said:
This looks correct to me. :smile:

Philip KP said:
Since F=Q x E but E is uniform does that mean F=Q??
"uniform" means that it is constant in magnitude and direction everywhere (or at least over the region of interest). You can't drop a term from an equation just because it's constant; at the very least it will "break" the units. A force (Newtons) is not the same as a charge (Coulombs), just as a force is not an acceleration; the "m" is required in the equation F = m⋅a, otherwise you don't have an equation.

Likes Philip KP
berkeman said:
There is no magnetic B field specified in this problem...
Ok so magnetic field and electric field aren't same

berkeman said:
This looks correct to me. :smile:
How do I find the acceleration then, I'm missing the force

Philip KP said:
How do I find the acceleration then, I'm missing the force
You don't need to find a particular value for the force. You just need to find an expression for it, and note what values it depends on, and whether or not any of them differ from case to another in your problem.

gneill said:
You don't need to find a particular value for the force. You just need to find an expression for it, and note what values it depends on, and whether or not any of them differ from case to another in your problem.
What differs in the problem is their distance maybe, their velocities and their direction. Other than that I assume their acceleration since that's what we are looking for.

Philip KP said:
What differs in the problem is their distance maybe, their velocities and their direction. Other than that I assume their acceleration since that's what we are looking for.
That's why you need to write an expression for the acceleration, so you can test your assumptions.

gneill said:
That's why you need to write an expression for the acceleration, so you can test your assumptions.
So like Acceleration,=? meters/s^2 Q=1.6x10^-19 C, m=1.67x10^-27kg, E=? N/C, F=? Newtons,
a=F/m
F= QxE
a=(QxE)/m
Only problem is there is nothing about direction or velocity

Philip KP said:
So like Acceleration,=? meters/s^2 Q=1.6x10^-19 C, m=1.67x10^-27kg, E=? N/C, F=? Newtons,
a=F/m
F= QxE
a=(QxE)/m
Only problem is there is nothing about direction or velocity
That's not a problem, it's a bonus and a clear result! You now now that the acceleration does not depend upon direction or speed or distance; It only depends on the charge, the mass, and the electric field. So what can you conclude for the different cases presented?

Likes berkeman
gneill said:
That's not a problem, it's a bonus and a clear result! You now now that the acceleration does not depend upon direction or speed or distance; It only depends on the charge, the mass, and the electric field. So what can you conclude for the different cases presented?
Their accelerations are the same?? That just doesn't seem like him. (professor)

Likes berkeman
Philip KP said:
Their accelerations are the same?? That just doesn't seem like him. (professor)
Yes, the accelerations are all identical. It is the correct result for the question in the form it was given.

The question may seem like a trick, or perhaps it is incorrect due to a typo or otherwise, yet even so it got you to think about the physics of the situation.

Likes Philip KP
Ok thanks gneill and berkeman. I guess you guys had said their accelerations were same in the beginning but it definitely helped figuring out why. I''ll talk to my professor tomorrow and I think it's actually due Tuesday so if there's something I'm missing I'll bring it up tomorrow?

Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Philip KP said:
Ok thanks gneill and berkeman. I guess you guys had said their accelerations were same in the beginning but it definitely helped figuring out why. I''ll talk to my professor tomorrow and I think it's actually due Tuesday so if there's something I'm missing I'll bring it up tomorrow?
That would be fine!
Thanks!
You're very welcome.

1. How do you calculate the electric field of a proton?

The electric field of a proton can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the proton, and r is the distance from the proton.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

3. How does the acceleration of a proton change as it moves through an electric field?

The acceleration of a proton is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. As the electric field increases, the acceleration of the proton also increases.

4. How do you rank protons by acceleration in an electric field?

Protons can be ranked by acceleration by comparing their charge and distance from the electric field source. Protons with higher charge and closer distance will experience a greater acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of a proton be negative in an electric field?

No, the acceleration of a proton cannot be negative in an electric field. The direction of the acceleration will always be in the same direction as the electric field. However, the velocity of the proton can be negative if it is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field.