Electric Field Help: Find E & Acceleration

In summary: No. Unfortunately you need to divide by 2 before you square your distances. So you could multiply your answer by 4 and that should undo not halving the denominator before you squared it.
austin1250

Homework Statement

Alright i have two problems i need help with

1st.

Find the electric field at a point midway between two charges of +43.1 10^-9 C and +61.7 10^-9 C separated by a distance of 24.7 cm.

________ N/C

2nd.

A Van de Graaff generator is charged so that the magnitude of the electric field at its surface is 2.8 104 N/C.

(a) What is the magnitude of the electric force on a proton released at the surface of the generator?
________ N
(b) Find the proton's acceleration at this instant.
________ m/s^2

Homework Equations

E= K*q/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I don't really know how to get the point in the middle. I got 9.1 x 10^3 N/C for the electric frield of the 61.7 c x 10^-9 and 6.4x10^3 N/C for the 43.1 c x10-9. So basicly what i need help with is the electric field at the mid-point.

For the 2nd one. I got part (a) right, i got 4.48 x10 ^-15 N. I need help getting the acceleration of the proton at that instant.

Physics news on Phys.org
austin1250 said:
For the first one, I don't really know how to get the point in the middle. I got 9.1 x 10^3 N/C for the electric frield of the 61.7 c x 10^-9 and 6.4x10^3 N/C for the 43.1 c x10-9. So basicly what i need help with is the electric field at the mid-point.

For the 2nd one. I got part (a) right, i got 4.48 x10 ^-15 N. I need help getting the acceleration of the proton at that instant.

(I'm not doing your math so if that's wrong you're still in trouble, but ...) Recall that the electric field is a vector field. At the point of interest you have calculated the individual scalar magnitudes of the vectors presumably at the midpoint. All you need to do now is determine the orientation of the two field contributions and add. By inspection they are both + charges so the field will necessarily be a difference of the 2, but directed away from the greater of the 2. (+ charges have outward directed fields.)

For 2)b) Doesn't F = m*a still?

For your first part add the two fields vectorially,they point in opposite directions.
For your second part use Newtons second law,you will need the mass of the proton.

oh, ok i forgot about the mass of a proton, thanks, but I am still stuck in the first question. i don't know if i did the math wrong but I am not getting it right

austin1250 said:
oh, ok i forgot about the mass of a proton, thanks, but I am still stuck in the first question. i don't know if i did the math wrong but I am not getting it right

Maybe show your calculation?

Distance is cm. Did you make it (.247/2) for your distance? That's a common oversight.

LowlyPion said:
Maybe show your calculation?

Distance is cm. Did you make it (.247/2) for your distance? That's a common oversight.

Heres my calculations, and i did make it .247 before.

9x10^9 * 43.1 x10-9/.247^2 + 9x10^9 * 61.7 x10^-9/.247^2

is that correct?

comes out to be 6.4 x10^3 + 9.1 x 10^3 = 15500?

Then what? Do i divide by two?

austin1250 said:
Heres my calculations, and i did make it .247 before.

9x10^9 * 43.1 x10-9/.247^2 + 9x10^9 * 61.7 x10^-9/.247^2

is that correct?

comes out to be 6.4 x10^3 + 9.1 x 10^3 = 15500?

Then what? Do i divide by two?

No. Unfortunately you need to divide by 2 before you square your distances. So you could multiply your answer by 4 and that should undo not halving the denominator before you squared it.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by a source charge and can be either positive or negative.

2. How do you calculate the electric field?

The electric field can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force experienced by the charged particle, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

3. What are the units of electric field?

The units of electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

4. How do I find the acceleration of a charged particle in an electric field?

The acceleration of a charged particle in an electric field can be found using the equation a = qE/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the magnitude of the charge, E is the electric field, and m is the mass of the particle.

5. Can the direction of the electric field change?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can change depending on the location and magnitude of the source charge. The electric field lines always point in the direction that a positive test charge would experience a force.