1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field, hollow sphere

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hey im currently studying for my final and im stuck on a question i have the solution but im not sure what he did, could someone explain

A hollow sphere of the inner radius R1 and outer radius R2 is uniformly charges with total charge Q. Calculate the electruc fiels in the three regions shown in the cross-section view below 1) r<R1, 2) R1 < r <R2, and 3) r >R2

pPKRZ.png

What i dont get is part two, i know he is using gauess law Q inclosed/e = E(r)*A
    but i dont know how he got Q and reduced it

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi underground! welcome to pf! :smile:
    the total charge is Q, so the charge density is Q/volume = Q/{4π/3(R23 - R13)},

so the charge inside radius r is the density times the volume within radius r, ie 4π/3(r3 - R13) :wink:

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the respond im getting there but can you explain one thing

I get what your saying but i dont see where the Q overall charge disappeard

P7rGZ.png

This is my logic of the question and the Q which is overall charge remained in the equation

5. Apr 17, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

suppose R1 was 0 (ie, a solid sphere) …

then the charge within radius r would be Q(r/R2)3, wouldn't it?

this is similar … the charge is Q times (volume/total-volume) :wink:

6. Apr 17, 2012 #5
    Thanks so much for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook