Electric Field homework help

In summary, the question is asking for the direction of E at a specific point rho based on the given diagram and equation F=KQq/r^2. The solution involves adding two vectors, one pointing right from the +2Q charge and one pointing up from the +3Q charge. The direction of the electric field can be determined by using components or drawing a more accurate diagram.
bryanwalsh

Homework Statement

Find the direction of E at rho where is the electric field

http://i.imgur.com/37ohyME.jpg

Homework Equations

F=KQq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I might just have a vector pointing right from the +2Q and another pointing up from the +3Q and just add those two vectors together but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bryanwalsh! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
bryanwalsh said:
I thought I might just have a vector pointing right from the +2Q and another pointing up from the +3Q and just add those two vectors together but I'm not sure.

that's correct … electric fields are vectors, so they add like vectors :smile:

So which way would the direction vector face? Southeast?

tiny-tim said:
hi bryanwalsh! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

that's correct … electric fields are vectors, so they add like vectors :smile:

So which way would the direction vector of the electric field face? Southeast?

maybe yes and maybe no :wink:

tell us why you think it's southeast (with equations), and then we'll comment :smile:

tiny-tim said:
maybe yes and maybe no :wink:

tell us why you think it's southeast (with equations), and then we'll comment :smile:

Gysk3Ri.png

(just got up :zzz:)

if one vector is up, and the other is horizontal, how can the resultant be down?? :redface:

you need to draw a much better diagram, with arrows to show which way the vectors are going

or, preferably, use components

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle experiences in an electric field. It is created by a distribution of charges and is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

What are the units of electric field?

The units of electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be expressed as volts per meter (V/m) or electronvolts per meter (eV/m).

How does distance affect electric field strength?

According to the inverse-square law, the strength of an electric field decreases as the distance from the source increases. This means that the electric field is stronger closer to the source and weaker further away.

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are related but different concepts. The electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force on a charge, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charge. In simple terms, electric field tells us the direction of the force on a charge, while electric potential tells us the amount of energy a charge would have at a certain point in the field.