1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field in a coaxial cable (PDE + boundary value)

1. Jul 12, 2012 #1
    Hi! This is a quite sophisticated problem, but it’s fun and interesting!

A coaxial current transmission line is short-circuited by a cylindrical disk in one of its ends. Let’s say that the disk and the coax cable have the radius [itex]r_{2}[/itex] and that the disk has the thickness [itex] d[/itex]. We’re interested in solving the (complex) electric field [itex]E_{z} [/itex] directed in the [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] direction in this disk. When you work Maxwell’s eq. out you’re arriving at the PDE:

[itex]\nabla^2 E_{z} - j\omega\mu\sigma E_{z}=0[/itex]

where [itex]\sigma [/itex] is the conductivity, [itex]\omega[/itex] is the frequency, [itex]\mu[/itex] is the permeability and [itex]j[/itex] is the imaginary unit. This disk has cylindrical rotation symmetry so [itex]E_{z}[/itex] does not depend on [itex]\phi[/itex]. If we choose our cylindrical coordinate system so that the z-axis passes through the center and that z=0 at the circular plane of the disk not in direct contact with the coax cable; then the boundary values on the disk are the following:

1. [itex]E_{z}(\rho,z=0)=0[/itex] for all [itex]\rho\in[0,r_{2}][/itex]. (because there is a current on the circular plane surface not in contact with the coaxial cable).
    2. [itex]\int_0^{r_{2}}E_{z}(\rho,z’ )\rho\,d\rho=0[/itex] for all [itex]z’ \in(0,d)[/itex]. (because the total current through a cross-section of the disk is zero).
    3. [itex]\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}}E_{z}(\rho,z=d)\rho\,d\rho=-I/2\pi\sigma[/itex], where [itex]0 \leq r_{1} \leq r_{2}[/itex] the inner radius of the shield of the coax and [itex]I[/itex] is the given complex current. (because the current through the shield of the coax must be –I)
    4. [itex]E_{z}(r’ ,z=d)=0[/itex] for all [itex]r’ \in[r_{0},r_{1}][/itex], where [itex]r_{0}[/itex] is the radius of the inner leader, such that [itex]0 \leq r_{0} \leq r_{1} \leq r_{2} [/itex]. (because we have a current on this surface)
    5. [itex]\int_0^{r_{0}}E_{z}(\rho,z=d) \rho d \rho=I/2\pi\sigma[/itex]. (the total current penetrating into the disk from the coax cable is of course I.
    6. Obviously [itex]E_z[/itex] must also be finite for all points in the disk.

My problem is to solve this PDE with these boundary values. I would be very thankful for any insight or idea on how to solve this problem (full solutions not necessary acquired!). So if you can help me in any way I owe you a huge amount of thankfulness and respect!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted