1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field in an empty cavity

1. Dec 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor is zero. Is this statement true no matter what the shape of the cavity? Why or why not?

2. Relevant equations
    Electric field equation. E = kQ / R^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't seem to figure out if this is true no matter what the shape.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2007 #2
    no, consider a charge in a cavity in a conductor.

it's only in the meat of the conductor, because when you would put a conductor in a field, the electrons would move and create a field with the protons on their own. The two fields tend to cancel. But in a hole, you don't have this problem. (The edges of the conductor will be charged however, in that case.)

4. Dec 28, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct, but it's stated that the cavity is empty, so it doesn't contain a charge. There's no net charge density in the conductor and the cavity is empty, so the only place a charge could be is on the surface of the cavity. Now consider a gaussian surface around the cavity but inside the conductor.

5. Dec 28, 2007 #4
    oh I'm sorry, ah well... I guess Dick gave you quite a hint there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?