Electric Field in Coaxial Cable

In summary, the given equations for this problem are the potential at radius r between the inner and outer electrodes, which is V=Vo*ln(r/a), and the electric field at r, which is E(V/m) = (1/r)*[V/ln(b/a)]. The attempt at a solution involves finding the value of V at the surface of the inner electrode, which would be the same as a since it is at the surface. However, the correct equation for V should be V = (-Vo*ln(r))/(ln(b/a)) + (Vo*ln(b))/(ln(b/a)) for r between b and a. The given equation for the electric field should still be correct and provide the desired answer.
CL39

Homework Statement

GIVEN:
a=radius of inner electrode = 0.05 cm
b=radius of outer electrode = 0.5 cm
Vo = 130 V

QUESTION: What is the electric field at surface of the inner electrode in units of V/m?

Homework Equations

Given equations
Potential at radius r b/w inner&outer electrodes is
V=Vo*ln(r/a) (Eq 1)

Elect field at r is
E(V/m) = (1/r)*[V/ln(b/a)] Eq (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First in finding the V at surface of inner electrode,
the value of r is same as a because it's at surface, so the ln (r/a) term
becomes zero. So that is where I am stuck. Are the equations I am given correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
CL39 said:

Homework Statement

GIVEN:
a=radius of inner electrode = 0.05 cm
b=radius of outer electrode = 0.5 cm
Vo = 130 V

QUESTION: What is the electric field at surface of the inner electrode in units of V/m?

Homework Equations

Given equations
Potential at radius r b/w inner&outer electrodes is
V=Vo*ln(r/a) (Eq 1)

Elect field at r is
E(V/m) = (1/r)*[V/ln(b/a)] Eq (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First in finding the V at surface of inner electrode,
the value of r is same as a because it's at surface, so the ln (r/a) term
becomes zero. So that is where I am stuck. Are the equations I am given correct?

Your Eq. 1 doesn't look right to me. [itex] V [/itex] should be equal to [itex] V_0 [/itex] when [itex] r = a [/itex]. So something is not right with that equation.

If you're curious (and Ill give this because this thread is so old), I think that equation should be something like

[itex] V = \frac{-V_0 \ln(r)}{\ln \left( \frac{b}{a} \right)} + \frac{V_0 \ln(b)}{\ln \left(\frac{b}{a}\right)} \ \ \ (b \gt r \gt a)[/itex]

But you shouldn't need Eq. 1 to find the electric field.

Eq. 2 looks good to me though. Doesn't that equation give you the answer you want?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

1. What is an electric field in a coaxial cable?

The electric field in a coaxial cable is the area surrounding the cable where the electric force is present. This force is responsible for the movement and flow of electric charges within the cable.

2. How is the electric field in a coaxial cable created?

The electric field in a coaxial cable is created by the difference in potential between the inner and outer conductors of the cable. The inner conductor has a positive charge while the outer conductor has a negative charge, creating an electric field between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a coaxial cable?

The strength of the electric field in a coaxial cable is affected by the distance between the inner and outer conductors, the voltage applied to the cable, and the dielectric material between the conductors. A larger distance, higher voltage, and lower dielectric constant will result in a stronger electric field.

4. How does the electric field in a coaxial cable affect signal transmission?

The electric field in a coaxial cable plays a crucial role in signal transmission. It helps to confine the electric current within the cable, reducing interference and signal loss. The strength and stability of the electric field also determine the quality of the transmitted signal.

5. Can the electric field in a coaxial cable be shielded?

Yes, the electric field in a coaxial cable can be shielded by adding an additional layer of conductive material, such as a metallic braid or foil, around the outer conductor. This shielding layer helps to further reduce interference and improve the overall performance of the cable.