1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field in dielectric

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2wqvqed.png

Find the electric field inside dielectric and surface charge density on plates.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\rho_b = -\vec {\nabla} . \vec{P} = -\vec {\nabla} . \epsilon_0 \chi \vec E = -\vec {\nabla} . (\epsilon_r - 1)\epsilon_0 \vec E[/tex]

[tex]\int \rho_b dV = (1-\epsilon_r)\epsilon_0 \int \vec {\nabla} . \vec E dV[/tex]

[tex] \int \rho_b dV = (1-\epsilon_r)\epsilon_0 \int \vec E . d\vec S [/tex]

[tex]\rho_0 \int (d^2 - x^2) A dx = (1-\epsilon_r)\epsilon_0 EA[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{\rho_0}{(1-\epsilon_r)\epsilon_0} \int_{x'}^{d} d^2-x'^2 dx'[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{\rho_0}{(1-\epsilon_r)\epsilon_0}\left[ \frac{2}{3}d^3 - d^2x + \frac{1}{3}x^3\right][/tex]

To find surface charge density,

[tex]\epsilon_0 \nabla . E = \rho_f + \rho_b[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_0 \int \nabla . E dV = \int \rho_f dV + \int \rho_b dV[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_0 \int E.dS = \sigma A + \int \rho_b A dx[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_0 EA = \sigma + \int \rho_b dx[/tex]

Rearranging,

[tex]\sigma = \epsilon_0E - \epsilon_0(1-\epsilon_r)E = \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r E[/tex]
    [tex]\sigma = \frac{\rho_0 \epsilon_r}{1-\epsilon_r} \left[ \frac{2}{3}d^3 - d^2x + \frac{1}{3}x^3\right][/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The embedded charge density given in the problems is "free charge" density ##\rho_f## of the system, not bound charge density ##\rho_b##.

In your integrals, you are integrating from ##x'## to ##d##. But the upper limit can be tricky to deal with since there is bound surface charge density on the surface of the dielectric at ##x = d## as well as free surface charge density on the surface of the conductor at ##x = d##.

There is quite a bit of symmetry in the problem. Can you use the symmetry to tell you anything about D and E at x = 0? If so, you might want to set up your integrals from ##x = 0## to ##x = x'## and avoid ##x = d##.

4. May 6, 2014 #3
    Ah, I see the problem now.

Gauss's law in Dielectric reads:
    [tex]\nabla . D = \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r \nabla . E = \rho_f[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_0 \epsilon_r EA = \rho_0 \int_0^{x'} (d^2 - x'^2) A dx' [/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{\rho_0}{\epsilon_0 \epsilon_r}\left[d^2x - \frac{1}{3}x^3\right][/tex]

For the surface charge, we must compute the bound surface charges on the dielectric first.

2nsumte.png

Gauss's Law reads:

[tex]\epsilon_0 EA = Q - Q_b[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_0 EA = \sigma A - A\vec P . \hat n[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_0 E = \sigma - \epsilon_0 (\epsilon_r -1)E[/tex]
    [tex]\sigma = \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r E[/tex]

Or in other words, ##E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0\epsilon_r}##, the electric field is reduced by a factor of ##\epsilon_r## due to the presence of the dielectric's polarized field.

Electric field at d is ##\frac{2}{3}\frac{\rho_0}{\epsilon_0\epsilon_r} d^3##.
    Thus, ##\sigma = \frac{2}{3}\rho_0 d^3##.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  5. May 6, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get essentially the same result except for some signs. I get a positive amount of bound surface charge at the surface of the dielectric (due to the polarization of the medium). I get a negative surface charge density on the surface of the metal plate.

If I pick a Gaussian pill box as you did, I would write Gauss' law as

##-\epsilon_0 E_x A = Q_{tot} = Q + Q_b = \sigma A + P_x A = \sigma A +\epsilon_0(\epsilon_r - 1)E_x##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted