1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field in two dimensions

1. Jan 29, 2004 #1
    I have this problem which im stuck on: Find an expression for the electric field at point P as in this figure
    P
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    <----------------------L-------------------------------->
    Where the distance from P to the positive charged rod is Y.

All i know is that you need to break the positive charged rod into little differentials such as dL and integrate someting like this -
    Ey = (integrate)-L to +L Q/(4pi Epsilon(o) d^2)dq
    However i am not sure about the X components and how taht is calculated, please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2004 #2
    Why dont u apply Gauss Th

4. Jan 31, 2004 #3
    Well this one can be tricky. Now with your picture there and then your claim I am confused, is the point located perpendicular to the end of the line of charge?
    If that is the case then integrating along the length from 0 to L might be easier...
    anyway
    if you look at the picture, as you move from the left to the right, and angle is formed with the line extending from P along L. as you move down L this angle changes.
    As the angle becomes larger the radius changes as well.
    dEx=dEcos(theta)
    dEy=dEsin(theta)
    Now dE=Ko*dq/(r^2)
    substituting the charge density lambda*dx for dq we get
    dE=Ko*Lambda*dx/(r^2)
    if you replace r with the varibles we do know you get
    r=sqrt(L^2+d^2)
    where d is the vertical distance from the line to the point.
    now making the necessary trigonometric changes you can find the the integral for each component.

Hope that helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?