1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a resistor

1. Apr 4, 2004 #1
    A resistor (20 ohm) is made of a very thin piece of metal wire, length = 3mm and diameter = .1mm. Given that it has a potential of 8 volts and .4 amps of current running through it, what is the electric field inside the wire?

I know there's no electrostatic equilibrium here, so I can't just take the easy answer and say there is no electric field internal to a cylinder. It seems I must use the equation that relates voltage to electric field:

V = integral(E * ds)

But, as this seems to be based upon Gauss's law (which I haven't the firmest hold) I hate to assume that I can use the equation when the charge is in motion (current).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your equation is almost right: ΔV = - ∫ E ds. This is not based on Gauss's law, but on the relationship between field and potential.

In your example, the magnitude of the field is E = ΔV/L.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?